Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Jakeddesign

Polypropylene Issues

Recommended Posts

I searched around the forums and could not find much information on my particular issue. I have UM brand Polypropylene and I simply cannot get a part to print well.  I am using UM adhesion sheets, which are amazing, and do NOT have any bed adhesion problems. However, after the first 10-20 layers or so the nozzle starts to clog and I get severe under extrusion that results in just little wisps coming out of the nozzle.  I started with all Ultimaker defaults, increased temp, lower temp, 0.1mm and 0.2mm layers, 30mm/s speed, 70mm/s speed.  The filament doesn't make any popping noises or anything, so I don't *think* its wet (and it was brand new out of the package).  I even cleaned out the extruder cooling fan to ensure air flow, and cleaned the nozzle really well (cold pulls, etc).

 

Has anyone else come across this problem?

 

I am running an UM3, AA0.4 Core, Cura 3.2

 

Edit: the underextrusion I am describing looks like this guys prints (except I am printing PP) 

 

Edited by Jakeddesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you have any further luck with printing your part with Polypropylene? I'm again also trying to print with it whereas results aren't great with default Cura settings. Adhesion is good but the print itself is just not good. Part I'm trying to print has some overhangs which I understand aren't that easy but even the first layer and plane horizontal ones seem to have issues. There also doesn't seem to be that much experience with PP in general so will be lots of trial - error I guess. In case you had any eureka moments, would appreciate sharing them. 🙂

 

PP Print.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a few things, not sure which it was that worked.

a.) I put the filament in my dryer overnight

b.) I was using a 3D Solex HardCore nozzle, but switched back to the UM3 AA Core.

c.) I went back to using UM3/Cura default profiles

 

magically, it started working again.  I suspect that the material was just wet, maybe the 3DSolex core was also contributing.  The 3D solex seems to have a tighter throat where the filament goes through, which seems to cause some issues with material swelling sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention that I did turn OFF retraction.  I had a suspicion that it was getting stuck in the nozzle.  My model was also much less complex than yours, although maybe similar in size.

 

good luck!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile it also magically (unless my actions helped here) improved on my end... What I did differently:

- I did a factory reset of my Ultimaker. Earlier this week, I upgraded to the latest firmware but meanwhile learned that some setting might not get applied unless you perform a factory reset. It was for sure the case for me since I couldn't select PP material after having updated my firmware (I used my own settings for bed temp / nozzle temp I had added). After factory reset, I was able to select PP material when loading

- Because of the factory reset, I did have to level the bed again. Always bid of a challenge (just one more which is little too firm or one less which seems too loose 🙂

- Loaded PP material selecting "PP" from the list of materials now

 

I then printed it again with same Cura default settings I had before and the result is much better. Now, it's much better but it's still not as nice as printing it with PLA.

 

I believe I read somewhere about the retraction as well so maybe something I should further look into as well. In any case, for now, for this print, I'm ok with the result.

IMG_0105.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it will never rival PLA in aesthetic "quality", but it is very strong, and doesnt like to delaminate.  Very flexible depending on how thick  you print the walls.

 

I use it for glue templates in production.  When they get gummed up, we just toss them in acetone overnight to dissolve the glue and they are like brand new the next day, ready to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Print Core CC | Red for Ruby
      Q: For some users, abrasive materials may be a new subject matter. Can you explain what it is that makes a material abrasive when you are not sure which print core to use?
      A: Materials which are hard in a solid piece (like metals, ceramics and carbon fibers) will generally also wear down the nozzle. In general one should assume...
      • 1 reply
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!