Pause at Height/Layer - UM3E & Cura 3.3.1 - Need info

Posted · Pause at Height/Layer - UM3E & Cura 3.3.1 - Need info

Anyone have any experience using this combination of hardware and software?  I tried over the weekend for my first time ever and, either I set something incorrectly, it or it doesn't work properly.  In my case, the print paused when I expected it to, but on resume - it was a mess.  The bed returned to the hot end and kept going - crashing into the print and boring a hole into my print...it kept trying to go up until eventually (assuming some kind of failsafe), it stopped and failed.

Hoping I did something wrong as I would love for this feature to work.

Thanks for whatever you all can tell me.

Now, when I do it at height, it pauses and even appears to resume, but prints air for many layers before eventually extruding filament.

These are my current test settings.  Can't seem to figure this out.

No automatic alt text available.

Posted (edited) · Pause at Height/Layer - UM3E & Cura 3.3.1 - Need info

Did not dare to use it with the UM3 but used the UM2+ today and it also messed up.

Paused at layer nr., checked the code view to see if it happened at the right moment. 

At the moment of the pause the printhead went 2-3 mm in the model (not good!) and went to the 190,190 corner over the other walls.

After resuming the printhead went to the 0,0 corner (also not good!! and not also visible in the preview) and then resumed printing about 5 mm shifted to the back, so not in the right position.

Second attempt, changed the park position to 0,0. Again a dive of 2-3 mm in the model and again the shift.....

Edited by peggyb

• 4 weeks later...

@chuckmcgee, I opened an issue on Cura for this: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/3676

I agree with @ghostkeeper's finding there that the gcode looks good, so it's maybe more of an issue in the UM3 firmware. It would be interesting to hear @Marco_TvM's opinion on the case.

16 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

@chuckmcgee, I opened an issue on Cura for this: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/3676

I agree with @ghostkeeper's finding there that the gcode looks good, so it's maybe more of an issue in the UM3 firmware. It would be interesting to hear @Marco_TvM's opinion on the case.

It would be good to know which UM3 firmware was being used for these findings.

18 minutes ago, Marco_TvM said:

It would be good to know which UM3 firmware was being used for these findings.

In my case it was the latest, 4.3.

Then it will be a bit of a waiting game I'm afraid. We're currently very focused on S5 firmware and have made some improvements on pause/resume when it comes to retract/prime and this being tested.

Once this is deemed ok, the PO can decide to put these changes into the UM3 firmware as well.

@WesleyE might shed more light on this.

11 minutes ago, Marco_TvM said:

Then it will be a bit of a waiting game I'm afraid. We're currently very focused on S5 firmware and have made some improvements on pause/resume when it comes to retract/prime and this being tested.

Once this is deemed ok, the PO can decide to put these changes into the UM3 firmware as well.

Those improvements would be in 5.0.13 already?

Nope. Still testing.

So don't buy a UM3 due to this issue?  We found an application that we can't do with our UM3's for inserted bearings which cost us not being able to do this.  We replaced our UM2's and now we've lost capabilities in our cluster.

On an industrial customer side it would be nice to actually have this feature work.

Will this work on the S5?

Posted (edited) · Pause at Height/Layer - UM3E & Cura 3.3.1 - Need info
    22 hours ago, ronniiraygun said:

Will this work on the S5?

I think @Marco_TvM answered that here:

On 6/1/2018 at 7:48 AM, Marco_TvM said:

However, I also know of other UM3 users who need to have the pause feature for inserting parts. Atm they do this manually when they think it's about the right height. But this can't be a long term solution. I agree with Marco that it should be implemented in one firmware first and proven to work before it's inserted into the other firmware. However, I assume it will be fixed as broken features are not an option in the pro market. Ultimaker knows that.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

Just checking back on this.  As it turns out I have to embed some nuts in a print to accept machine screws.  It would sure be nice to be able to use this feature.  If pressed I can load a spool of identical filament into feeder 2 (UM3) and jump on it when the printer primes the second print core, but that seems dodgy to me....

Any updates and advice welcome

John

I'm having similar problems as the OP. any idea when this might be resolved in the UM3 firmware?