For what purpose do you 3D print?

SandervG

Question: How do you use your 3D printer?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. - For what purpose do you 3D print?

• Professionally, I have access to a 3D printer at work
    • Professionally, I have a 3D printer at home that generates revenue, or assists me in my work
    • Hobby, I have a 3D printer just for fun

Posted · For what purpose do you 3D print?

Every day new members join our community. Some pop in for just a few questions and others hang around for a longer time and become 3D printing experts themselves. But with so much movement, I thought it would be nice see where we stand today and gain some new insights. So, for what purpose do you 3D print? 

Um, yeah. Got a UM3X at work and now I'm going to print at home fun serious stuff (with a smaller printer).

3 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

I actually do a two and a three but can only choose one.... ?

In that case, I think you should choose the professional option. You are not always working. When you have a 3D printer in the office, but you occasionally print something fun for friends or family (or yourself), it does not eliminate your professional use and understanding of 3D printing. 

• Like 1

I'm "only" using it for hobbies. I really enjoy robotics (Printing InMoov right now).

In the next month, I'm going to buy an Ultimaker 3 and may use 3D printing professionally.

On 5/8/2018 at 1:07 PM, SandervG said:

Every day new members join our community. Some pop in for just a few questions and others hang around for a longer time and become 3D printing experts themselves. But with so much movement, I thought it would be nice see where we stand today and gain some new insights. So, for what purpose do you 3D print? 

I started of doing prototypes of furniture with mostly reason to understand the printing process and how to create files. Now I print models of house projects for developers showroom. 

There is a fourth answer : Hobby but not for fun. Railroad model building (for me) mdelling in general.

Functional models. But not for sale.

8 minutes ago, Gigi said:

There is a fourth answer : Hobby but not for fun. Railroad model building (for me) mdelling in general.

Functional models. But not for sale.

That is an interesting point. One of the things I am saving shekels for the S5 is diorama building. Would really make it easier to do a lot of things if you did not have to go through all the plaster, wire and canvasing to build a landscape. Not the mess, and not that much difference in time, and a lot less in materials in the long run. When you cover a lot of it with either sand materials, rocks or even quick foam putty, you could probably drop cost and overall time for custom dioramas.

Slap a 0.8 nozzle or larger on it and just let it rip. Rocks, trees (Basic shapes, not full foliage), mining tunnels, station houses, critters, whatever :)

It was about rolling stock.

G scale locomotive in progress.

Last picture , bogie frame.

20180128_223959.jpg

20180205_190719.jpg

20180430_223231.jpg

• Like 3

Great to be here.

I purchased my Creality CR-10s to learn more about 3D printing.  I love to make my own stuff, and have for decades created out of metal and wood, anything I needed.  There is so much satisfaction in manufacturing one's own parts instead of just going out and buying (sometimes obsolete) parts.  I am a former mechanic, panel beater/spray painter and welder.  Manufacturing items was my passion, and repairing the creations of other's was my profession.  My entire family have these traits, and it something we live for.  The shed is our sanctuary and our tools are a passport to joy.  Sounds over the top, but if you understand, you will know the joy associated with creativity and construction.   That is why you are here too, no doubt.

3D printing is the best and most satisfying way to express myself as I have almost instant "gratification".  I have a desire to learn more about this art.  The settings, tweaks and skills required to design, create and utilise this incredible medium has consumed my free time ever since my CR-10s arrived several days ago.

I am here to learn and to share experiences with others who have progressed much further, and even mastered the art of 3D printing.

Thanks for your patience.

No pictures yet.  Sorry.

Hi @Gigi , the main evolution I was curious after was the growth in users who use their 3D printer professionally. Definition of 'professionally' I hope I defined in the statements above. When you use your 3D printer not 'just' for fun, but as a tool for a hobby, I would say it qualifies for the 3rd option. And I certainly hope you enjoy your hobby ? 

typical case, a staircase for a scale model villa. a bit tricky to figure out the plan to assemble it but work fine.

IMG_20180517_145344_922.thumb.jpg.f51f46db37c3ea8ecc3956d2b23f4b2d.jpg

42 minutes ago, DanielHolmSweden said:

typical case, a staircase for a scale model villa. a bit tricky to figure out the plan to assemble it but work fine.

IMG_20180517_145344_922.thumb.jpg.f51f46db37c3ea8ecc3956d2b23f4b2d.jpg

Looks good! What scale are you working at?

You may be interested (and find other interested architects) in this thread . Feel free to share some more photo's there ?

I did as you said, thanx!  The scale I don't know in this case or haven't checked, I print maximum size UM2 allows me to:)