Top thickness not respected when using adaptive layers

mechamecha

Posted · Top thickness not respected when using adaptive layers

I implemented minimum top/bottom skin thickness for when adaptive layers are in use. You can find Linux and Windows builds with this feature at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0

I don't use adaptive layers myself so please try it out and open an issue at https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura/issues if you have any feedback.

If it works OK, I shall submit a PR so it can be added to Ultimaker's Cura.

Posted (edited) · Top thickness not respected when using adaptive layers

Thanks!  This is looking good to me.  I brought back some of my old prints that I did where the top layers were too thin because of adaptive layers (causing bubbling and holes between infill lines), and the top layers are showing the correct thickness now.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2764962

The Riser.stl from that was a problem to print using the previous adaptive layers implementation with a layer height of 0.2mm and adaptive layers set to maximum variation of 0.1 and a variation step size of 0.02.  The preview looks good so I will go ahead and print it.

Edited by Adam324

Printing now...  I am really looking forward to being able to use adaptive layers without worrying about either wasting material or compromising on thickness.  I had to always bump up the top/bottom layer count to make up for the thinnest top layer and wasting plastic on the top/bottom layers that are at the max thickness.  This change you made will make adaptive layers worth using to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome! Thanks!

I'd mentioned this on here before and it didn't seem to get any interest from the devs. Perhaps seeing it in action will sell them on it!! I'm convinced, anyway.

So, it's 2024 and several version of Cura later.  It would be really nice if this were fixed at some point.  I would really like to use adaptive layers, but it completely ruins so many top surfaces.

Posted (edited) · Top thickness not respected when using adaptive layers

So, it's 2024 and several version of Cura later.  It would be really nice if this were fixed at some point.  I would really like to use adaptive layers, but it completely ruins so many top surfaces.

There's a lot of things in Cura which would be really nice if they fixed. Unfortunately they only have so many people and so much time so they have to pick and choose, and they tend to choose things which aren't fairly niche cases like this.

If you want to get a bit creative, you can just slice something with adaptive layers on and then off, and transplant the g-code for the top few layers from the latter to the former.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow