Filament Stops Printing after 1-2 layers

Posted (edited) · Filament Stops Printing after 1-2 layers

I have been trying to print a duel color print on the Lulzbot Taz 6 with clear filament and green filament for a week and every single print I try the clear stops printing after a few layers. I can post some pictures down below. I do not know if this is a cura problem or a printer problem. I am using PLA filament with all the proper settings. The first few layers come out fantastic and then all the sudden it stops printing and seems as though there is a jam even when there isn't. I have noticed that it is only the clear filament. I have tried changing the temperature settings to be hotter and it did not change anything. Also I have noticed it is mainly the layers before the new color is introduced. 

IMG_20180618_103030.jpg

IMG_20180618_104415.jpg

IMG_20180618_104434.jpg

IMG_20180619_100633.jpg

IMG_20180619_100624.jpg

Edited by Caylamayla
Uploaded another picture

Posted (edited) · Filament Stops Printing after 1-2 layers

From what I've learned so far, this usually requires an adjustment in Standby Temperature.

When, say, Material 1 is printing, the hot end for that material heats up to the Printing Temperature you've defined. When Material 2 is printing, the hot end for Material 1 is allowed to cool down to the Standby Temperature. This is quite a difference -- printing temperatures are typically 200C and more, and the default Standby Temperature is 100C.

Sometimes this can cause the filament to fail to heat up all the way in time, so it winds up not printing (or at least leaving gaps).

Note that setting the Standby Temperature to match the Printing Temperature probably isn't the right plan either -- that can cause oozing from the unused nozzle. You'll probably need to experiment to find a Standby Temperature that lets the material print on cue without causing oozing.

Edited by KickahaOta
    Posted too soon

Posted · Filament Stops Printing after 1-2 layers

Thank you! I will mess around with it today. For the prints above the standby temperature was 180 C. I was watching the temperature because I had the same suspicion and there is no temperature difference when this is printing from its printing temperature. I am still going to try messing around with it though. 

Posted · Filament Stops Printing after 1-2 layers

I think you should ask TAZ people.  Or maybe try printing at half the speed you ahve been.  You are probably just going too fast for the extruder (layers too thick or too high speed).