Sign in to follow this  
madoverlord

Fan drive -- how much current?

Posted · Fan drive -- how much current?

I am fooling around with modified cooling fan setups on my ultimaker. Does anyone know what the max recommended current draw for the fan driver is?

I wouldn't want to put a bigger fan on and overload things!

I wan't to know the same thing. I asked for this in another topic but with also no reply's (yet). Somebody from UM should know this right???

I'm running two blade nano RC helicopter tail rotors on the fan circuit. This is what I found out in doing it. The fan circuit has an NPN (low side) darlington transistor BD679 as a pwm circuit. That transistor is rated for 4 Amps. However, I couldn't get even 1 Amp from it due to noise problems that I couldn't solve. I put a 1K resistor across the connection and then built my own power control circuit using just the signal. I used a MOSFET and took power from the Ultimaker to run it.

regards

Scott Vader

I have a 160mA fan and no problems. I think the original was 100 mA. The new fan is significantly stronger than the original.

I've made a fanduct for two 40mm fans. Both are 0,05A 12V. Only at 80% fanspeed they turn very slowly, on lower or higher fanspeed nothing.

The fans run perfectly at 12V form a power supply. The original ones draw 0,09A, the new ones 0,05A.

Has anyone got a clue?

The fan connector outputs 19V, your 12v fans might be shutting down due to overvoltage.

The transistor used in the UM1 should be able couple amps, more than most fans of any reasonable size will draw.