Ultimaker test!

pandap

Posted · Ultimaker test!

Hey guys, i'm seriously considering purchasing an ultimaker to use for printing my 3D jewellery designs to use in casting. I would really like to know how the resolution is on my models however, as that is a huge part of me purchasing one!

Is it possible for someone with an ultimaker to print a model of mine and mail it to me? I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and would be more than willing to throw someone 10 bucks by paypal for the shipping and printing cost! it's just a small ring, but I would need someone with netfabb to get the absolute smallest outside resolution possible. Anyone up for the challenge looking to make a quick 10 bucks? :D

Posted · Ultimaker test!

Okay so I've come up with two test rings if anyone is feeling courageous! Netfabb would be great but if someone wants to print it without netfabb go ahead just post pictures! :D

EASY MODE:

Ultimaker Band Ring

txe5y.jpg

HARD MODE:

Signet Ring

The spacing on some of those gaps is tiny so i'm curious to see how it works out!

lq9vp.jpg

Here is the download package with all the files, please if you print one of these take a picture! Or if you're still willing to send me one let me know :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?53qd4xq7ju5f46m

Posted · Ultimaker test!

I think size of this details is much more bigger than possible resolution which you can get with plastic printer, for this kind of job you will need to find some UV curable resin printer.

Posted · Ultimaker test!
    I think size of this details is much more bigger than possible resolution which you can get with plastic printer, for this kind of job you will need to find some UV curable resin printer.

Yea I think so too, but a guy can dream. :p

Posted · Ultimaker test!

If the details are < 0.25mm, then I would recommend something else. 0.4mm is normal print head size, and this is also the smallest dot you can print on the ultimaker. The Z-axis can be smaller, but generally it does never below 0.1mm...

Posted · Ultimaker test!

Dunno what you guys are talking about.

Posted · Ultimaker test!

Nice!

edit: got some specs on that, cyclone? Slicer, layer height, speed, temperature, etc?

Posted · Ultimaker test!

Oh yeah, that would be nice.

Sliced in Netfabb, Ultra Profile .08mm and half height (.04mm surface slice) 198-210 degrees. (I run the temp a little hotter than standard) Speed I guess, is either 20mm/s or 40mm/s depending on if the profile called for snake or slow, that part I don't mess with.

Honestly I was surprised it came out. I started it to just see what would happen, and a near perfect ring came out. The quality to the naked eye is great, the lighting really magnified any tiny blemishes. They really aren't noticeable when wearing it.

I'm making a pair of pimp pinky rings out of this model. It's like the '70's around here.

Posted · Ultimaker test!

Well, if you're looking for inspiration..

Posted · Ultimaker test!

YES THANK YOU! Hahaha i'm so glad it worked! The other one would probably be way too intricate...but if you want I can generate a few more models to give you some extra 70's bling bling to test? :D I'm amazed that worked so well!

Posted · Ultimaker test!

My face for the last few minutes -> :shock:

Seems I need a lot of tinkering to get that done. Can you build one for me too (with permission of the original owner of course).

Posted · Ultimaker test!

My face for the last few minutes -> :shock:

Seems I need a lot of tinkering to get that done. Can you build one for me too (with permission of the original owner of course).

Yea sure! What finger size and what kind of ring do you want?

Posted · Ultimaker test!

The text ring is possible because of the high Z resolution. If you would try to print it rotated 90 degree so the text faces upwards, then it wouldn't look so as good as it does. This is because the Z resolution is very high, while the X/Y has some limits because of the 0.4mm nozzle.

The Signet ring would be a disaster if you print it with the emblem up or down, but might print with some support if you print it in the same way at the text ring. Still you would lose some details.

The trick in printing small things like this, is a low temperature and a low speed. You don't want any oozing or stringing.

Posted · Ultimaker test!

I printed the signet as well, I rotated it like a ring sitting on a table, then cheated a little and sliced a flat spot on it.

The ring still had arches on the bottom (like it does on the top) but it drooped a good bit. The top side looks good tho.

I probably could have slowed to 25% speed and gotten the design to come out better.

Sorry about those crazy huge pics. These are a bit smaller.

Posted · Ultimaker test!

I have actually done a little casting with my Ultimaker prints. I've done aluminum

Yoda and Lego Darth Vader. Not sure if I could do jewelry level casting though.

Not the tools or the setup.