Cura Unnecessary Jumping/Stringing Issue

drumrboy44

Posted · Cura Unnecessary Jumping/Stringing Issue

I've been using the new Cura 13.06.04, and there are of course lots of advantages in speed and ease of use, but when printing certain hollow things, such as vases, the new Cura seems to be slicing very strangely.

For example, printing this Double Twisted Vase (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37327) at a layer height of 0.1mm and a shell thickness of 0.8 (at 210 C and 55 speed) results in all sorts of (thin) stringing across the center of the vase. This seems to be resulting from unnecessary jumps across points along the perimeter of the vase. In my experience, previous versions of Cura would simply slice a vase such that the nozzle would simply travel along the perimeter of the vase, and not jump across the central portion of the vase unnecessarily.

Is there some changed setting I am not seeing? I know there is no longer a "Joris" option, but I cannot think of an explanation for these print artifacts I am seeing in a relatively straight forward vase containing as many jumps as I am experiencing. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Cura is adding some extra infill right up against the inside of the wall where it thinks it is necessary because of overhangs. It does this without retraction, resulting in stringing across the middle as it moves around to print those parts. Not to mention that the extra bits of infill, while useful if you only care about the outside surface, make a real mess to the inside of hollow prints like this.

It's a pain, and would be the number one thing that I'd like to have changed in New Cura. I think it needs an option to turn off (or have the slicer simply have the smarts not to do it when printing with an open top/bottom on the print, and no infill.).

I have this info to share CURA 13.06.4 , it seems you can remove the strings in the gcode generated if you set

Fill>Bottom/Top Thickness(mm) = o

see these two picts same object, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:104694

one with 0.8 bottom fill THE OTHER with bottom fill ZERO.

not sure what this means but thought the info might be interesting and someone might be able to figure out how to print these things with out back-reving CURA

I think i will print the bottom and stop the print after about 0.4mm, then start over and print the hollow on and glue it to the base.

vase No bottom paths

vase with bottom paths

Seems easier to just use older cura than to glue two pieces together that won't exactly fit because of shrinkage.