Cura 3.4.1 will not start

Gambit

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.4.1 will not start

I just updated my cura software and now the program will not run. I get the splash screen and then it closes itself. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling an older version that was working but that is also doing the same thing. What do I do? I need my cura!! 

Edited by Gambit

Posted · Cura 3.4.1 will not start

To know what sort of bug this is, we would need to see a log file. See some instructions here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura#logging-issues

The "Cura GUI log file" is the important one for this particular issue.

If you need to get Cura started no matter what, a surefire way to do that is to delete the configuration folder that this log file is located in. This resets Cura to factory defaults, so you'll lose all your preferences and profiles and such. But it probably resolves your issue. And it would be nice if you could copy the log file out for us so that we can see what the problem was and fix it for the next time ?

Not working for me either.

High Sierra 10.13.5

The icon appears but does not open the application..

If open the app via temrinal /Applications/Ultimaker Cura.app/Contents/MacOS/cura can open it.

I would be happy to post the log file. Can you tell me where to find it or what the name of it would be?  I have done a search in the Ultimaker folder but I don’t see any log files.  

18 hours ago, Gambit said:

I would be happy to post the log file. Can you tell me where to find it or what the name of it would be?

See ghostkeeper's response two posts up for a link with info on the log file.

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.4.1 will not start

Hi Folks,

Here is the path to cura config files in the c disk.

C://users/"your name"/AppData/Local/

Roll down until you see cura.

Copy all those files and delete those files in this directory.

Thanks

Regards

Torgeir

image.thumb.png.1eae8c83312665f65ad504076df3b1c1.png

Edited by Torgeir
    Editing wording.

Ok, here is the log file and my operating system information. I tried doing what Torgeir suggested and deleted the config files but that did not change anything. I still get the splash screen and then the user agreement then Cura closes.

Anything else i can share to help please let me know. 

image.png

cura.log

Hi Gambit,

I'll think you need to uninstall the the 3.4.1 version of cura, make sure this "erased" directory is clean, then reinstall cura version 3.4.1

Thanks

Regards

Torgeir.

I tried that. I even did a compleat windows recovery erasing all programs and data. I still getting the same thing. I’m pretty sure it’s some incapatability with windows 10 but I have no idea. 

Please follow the link provided by @ghostkeeper above

Hi Gambit,

Did you check that the "other directory", the one provided by @ghostkeeper, the directory under "roaming" containing another cura directory?

This one: C:\Users\\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log (?)

Thanks

Regards

Torgeir.

I fount the log and posted it. Done everything that has been suggested. It’s up to Cura now or Microsoft now. ?

• Thanks 1

Looking at the log file again. I fixed a broken colour that I found because of that log, so thanks already ?

So in the log it appears to be crashing right after it initializes the shaders and right before or during initialization of the main window. The most likely culprit is these lines:

2018-07-22 05:06:55,824 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [301]: file:///C:/Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 3.4/resources/qml/Topbar.qml:19: TypeError: Cannot read property 'stageId' of null
    2018-07-22 05:06:55,826 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [301]: file:///C:/Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 3.4/resources/qml/Topbar.qml:104: TypeError: Cannot read property 'stageId' of null
    2018-07-22 05:06:55,829 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [301]: file:///C:/Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 3.4/resources/qml/Topbar.qml:175: TypeError: Cannot read property 'stageId' of null
    2018-07-22 05:06:55,831 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [301]: file:///C:/Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 3.4/resources/qml/Cura.qml:433: TypeError: Cannot read property 'mainComponent' of null
    2018-07-22 05:06:55,834 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [301]: file:///C:/Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 3.4/resources/qml/Cura.qml:427: TypeError: Cannot read property 'mainComponent' of null
    2018-07-22 05:06:55,836 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [301]: file:///C:/Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 3.4/resources/qml/Cura.qml:465: TypeError: Cannot read property 'sidebarComponent' of null
    2018-07-22 05:06:55,839 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [301]: file:///C:/Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 3.4/resources/qml/Cura.qml:497: TypeError: Cannot read property 'sidebarComponent' of null

From this it appears that `activeStage` is null at that time which is weird to me. Also strange is this line:

2018-07-22 05:06:37,560 - INFO - [MainThread] UM.VersionUpgradeManager._getUpgradeTasks [272]: Config file [.\cura.cfg] is of version [6000000], which is different from the defined version [2000000], no upgrade task for it from type [preferences].

There it looks like someone mixed up two of the version numbers that we have in Cura.

I too experience problem starting Cura 3.4.1 on Win 7 pro 64bits. It does start but it takes a few minutes. Once it's up it looks normal. Just takes a long time to load everything I guess. Also I did the installation on a SSD drive, so it should not take so long to load.

I have similar problem with installation of Cura 4.2.1 on Windows 10 system.

I found that the problem is linked to the anti-virus.

I have Avast  19.6.2383 (build 19.6.4546.520)   UI version 1.0.396 installed.

If I turn all shields off and start Cura, it runs as expected.

Immediately after Cura is opened I re-connect all shields and Cura continue to work as expected.

Hope this can help other users.