Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jmpshtr72

having a hard time printing whole model

On 7/15/2018 at 8:28 AM, kmanstudios said:

But, when you slice it, are you looking at the layers? That will show you what you are truly going to print. The solid view is a representation of the whole model, but not the print.

I found the layers, but if the feature isn’t in the layers then there is a problem with the model? 

Yes, it could be a couple of thihgs.

1. Walls too thin.

2. Single wall and not with thickness

3. Not a watertight model *Welded and closed with vertices.

4. Flipped faces that are not properly modeled.

Kinda hard to say without looking at the model.

Thanks for the help. I’ll just have to keep playing with it! Just got new CAD/CAM software at work that will convert to an STL. Still learning to model with it! More than likely it’s the way I modeled it. But I can create tool  paths for machining with the same model.

They are easily read across all platforms. Stl files dont always open easily in 3d apps. Objs always work. It helps when you move from one programme to another. You generally dont edit stl files but create them. I preffer obj to stl.

Whats the benefit of an stl file? Would love to know. As i never use them.

I sometimes have issues in 3DS max opening STL files they take ages or dont always work, then I have to hit Maya and reexoprt then from there. Mine take ages to open incura, but as long as they do im happy, usually only like 7-15 seconds for sub 1 million poly models.  I have never saved a single STL file, somone once said you could make the surface smoother but not sure how that would combat ringing?

Here is the trick for opening STLs in MAX. 🙂

STLImport.jpg.1e16fc65bf03bd131d1ce1b28f2cad55.jpg

This then opened this file with 5Million faces in 12 Seconds...No welding needed when opened.

BarbarianSTL_5M-Faces-12SecOpen.thumb.jpg.cf37f30a42701587eef813d175768b7c.jpg

Please note that this model is not finished yet. I just do output tests to see how things are going at certain stages.

I cant help thinking of this game when i look at that sculpt of yours. Cant wait to see it finished.

I wanted to make just the helmet but after looking at your action scene makes me want to do the whole thing. Was going to do speedball too.

page 185.jpg