POM,ACETAL, DELRIN

Pepa

Posted · POM,ACETAL, DELRIN

For one of our Research Projects we need to print in POM (polyoxymethylene), also known as ACETAL or DELRÍN.
We have a ULTIMAKER
 3 Extended printer.
Till the date we have done some tests, with the build plate at 95-100º and the extrusor at 235º.
For the moment, we have not been able to solve the problem of adherence.
Now we are using adhesion sheets, with an irregular result. It is difficult that there are no bubbles when sticking it to the glass and the piece has even lifted part of the sheet. When we stick the sheet to the glass, bubbles appears between them, and the piece has even lifted up part of the piece, as a result of those bubbles.
We have had the idea of printing a small base with PLA and on top the rest of the piece with POM.
We are also considering to using a BUILDTAK, but we don´t know if automatic leveling will work correctly with it.
Can anyone share any experience about it
?

I've used the GeckoTek products which seemed better reviewed than BuildTak. The only trouble is that sometimes parts stick even too well, and could get damaged when prying them off. But seriously, have been able to finally make large (taking up the entire plate) designs with zero warp.

https://www.geckotek.co/

The product that just sticks on like an adhesive sheet worked best, it might even be compatible with auto leveling. (Using an UM 2+ here)

On 7/23/2018 at 6:34 AM, Pepa said:

When we stick the sheet to the glass, bubbles appears between them

An old trick is to take a needle and poke the bubble and smush the air out of the bubble to increase contacted surface area. And, then you got @jakepoz's suggestion to consider.

I have absolutely no experience with the material you mentioned though.....

I have 0 derlin experience printing it and only use them for bushing and spacers ? they seem to be slippery than most material.

Anyway for the adhesion sheet, I too had that bubble issue but I found the wet or soapy water method works but only if you squeeze all the water out. Else the water will evaporate and cause bubbles even at 60C more so on a 95C. Basically I wet the glass with soapy water then squeeze like crazy with the blue rubber tool. Since then I never had bubbles on the adhesion sheet, CPE+ likes it a lot so I live it there even printing PLA.

As for buildtak and similar I used them before but found that they dont like other material like PET and CPE to be more precise they like each other so much they dont want to separate :D.

Interesting Derlin project would love to hear more about that.

• Like 1