Extra bit of extrusion, which setting?

dsamarin1

Posted (edited) · Extra bit of extrusion, which setting?

Using freshly updated Cura with my CR-10. Was getting zits all over the back side of a print, could not determine why. Changed a load of settings one-by-one (retraction, coasting, flow, outer wall wipe distance, number of shells, etc.) and re-ran the test a few dozen times. Looked at the animation inside Cura and found it was doing this on purpose! See video below. What setting do I change to stop this behavior???

video:  https://streamable.com/9bf8z

image.thumb.png.34e56ba07f2df6799b2f490ff4c8ec21.png

image.thumb.png.ec2642380fe5dc8e8035d87506f8832e.png

Edited by dsamarin1

Posted · Extra bit of extrusion, which setting?

You have coasting turned on, right?  That explans the travel-only move to the left of circled area but doesn't explain what you circled: where it travelled over an area printed earlier.  For apparently no reason.  

Cura is doing this for my part as well (strange travels over outer skin when finishing one island and moving to the next) but I don't know why.

@smartavionics have any ideas?

I do have coasting turned on, yes.

And because the CR-10 is a bowden-type extruder, that non-extruding travel over an already printed area without a retraction means that im putting down extra material and causing a zit.

Btw, it looks like the effect goes away when i reduce Outer Wall Wipe Distance to 0mm. The way the I interpreted that setting was that it'd wipe inward toward infill so that defects wouldnt show up on the outer wall. Why would I want to wipe against (a) somewhere i've already printed and (b) the outer wall? ?

3 minutes ago, dsamarin1 said:

Btw, it looks like the effect goes away when i reduce Outer Wall Wipe Distance to 0mm. The way the I interpreted that setting was that it'd wipe inward toward infill so that defects wouldnt show up on the outer wall. Why would I want to wipe against (a) somewhere i've already printed and (b) the outer wall? ?

Thanks for the project, I will take a look. Yes, the wipe does wipe along the wall and doesn't turn inwards. I never use it myself. If you are using the Wall Print Order Optimization (I hope you are) then that does a little inward movement at the end of the outer wall line when the outer wall is being printed after the inner walls. When the outer wall is being printed before the inner walls, it will turn inwards anyway to start the next wall. Hope this helps!

I turned on Optimize Wall Print Order, doesnt seem to have changed much. Turning off outer wall wipe seems to have helped a little, but the effect didnt completely go away. Still doing print outer walls first.