Model Stops Printing Randomly UMO+

BTHARCH

Posted · Model Stops Printing Randomly UMO+

This has happened a number of times with my UMO+ now. It started after I have brought a new hot end and temperature gauge.

I have tested the same file multiple times and it stops in a different place each time, I have even tried different files on a new SD card. When it stops the extruder head remains in the same place (doesn't return to home)  and the bed lowers, making me think it could be a power supply issue rather than G-code related. I also print using a SD card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted · Model Stops Printing Randomly UMO+

Is the heater higher wattage?  I agree that a power supply is quite likely.  The power supplies that come with UMO, UM2, UM3 series printers are made by meanwell and has several ways it can sense power overload.  When it does sense this it only powers off for a few milliseconds typically (well maybe a few 100 milliseconds) which is long enough to reboot the arduino.

You can lower the current draw by oiling (just one drop) each of the 6 rods in the gantry.  You can lower the current usage paradoxically by raising the power on the heated bed (when the bed is hotter it has a higher resistance and uses less power).  Also consider using blue tape and turning off the bed heater for a few prints just to diagnose your issue.

If you use blue tape make sure to wash it with isopropyl alcohol to remove the waxy surface - it just takes 5 seconds - you don't have to scrub super hard or anything.  Also you will need to re-level of course.