Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Marvinester

Help! Ultimaker3 - z scar keep showing up

Hello,

I've been trying to print marvin. Although everything looks fine, I'm keep getting this z-scar (vertical line) on marvin's head.

This has been consistent even after changing the setup to:

1. Increase printing temp to 210

2. Print Speed to 50mm/s

3. Fan speed 100%

I'm not sure what else needs to be done to fix this problem.

Please help!

Picture1.png

I'm not sure.  Did you look at this in layer view to see what is happening?  It looks like some kind of "z seam" like issue.  Most of those are improved by slowing down.  Try this:

1)  Set all printing speeds to 30mm/sec.  All of them.  I think there are 6.  Leave the non printing speed at 150mm/sec (or faster).

That's it.  You should get a large increase in quality.  If you want to save time print thicker layers (yet still 30mm/sec) and quality will go down but not as badly as if you save time by increasing the printing speeds.

It's not the z scar as far as I can see. I just sliced a Marvin in Cura 3.4.1.

It's the point where it changes from infill (where the z increase takes place) to first the inner walls and then to the outer wall and finally to the infill again.

image.thumb.png.a4abb7eccfc1d857dd5f8e70bf18b284.png

However, the perpendicular travel move seems to be enough to slow down the head so you get a blob there.

You may try to disable the jerk settings then it might slow down a bit less. Increasing the minimum layer time might also help in this case as the speed on this layer might be reduced.

• Like 1

I sliced it too and found that if you set "SeamCornerPreference" to "Hide or Expose" - or something else than the default, it does not produce a visible seam (at least not in the layer preview - I did not print it).

Oh and btw. I went to Thingiverse to download the Marvin .stl file. There is another "advanced Marvin" which looks pretty neat with dual extrusion ?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:525888

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 22.04.55.png

• Like 2