UM Original+ as second device ?

Smithy

Posted · UM Original+ as second device ?

I need some help because I am not sure if it makes sense what I have in my mind.

I have an UM3 and love it, perfekt machine for me, but due the reason I am very new to 3D printing, I want to print a lot, but the prints takes some time and so I thought I could buy a second machine to print in parallel ?  

Another UM3 or 2+ is too expensive, because I am printing just a hobby, so I was looking for something else. Most of the kits available are using 1.75 filament, which make no sense for me, because I have lot of 2.85 spools from my UM3. So an additional printer should have 2.85 filaments. 

And then I came to the idea, to buy the UM Original+ but I am not sure if I would disappointed when coming from the UM3? I don't need the auto bed leveling and also not the dual extrusion, but are there any other significant differences.

Beside the UMO+ are there any other printers with 2.85 filament which are recommended as a second printer?

Thanks!

Lulzbot and BCN3D are known to use 3mm (2.85mm) diameter filaments too. But there's not a lot wrong with the UMO+ if you don't need auto bed leveling or dual extrusion. They are very capable machines.

Posted (edited) · UM Original+ as second device ?

Both, Lulzbot and BCN3D, are in higher price range, thats why I looked at the UMO+ as a second device. 

I was not sure if the UMO+ is more than "outdated", because after the UMO+ there is also UM2, UM2+ and I don't know if the UMO+ is still a good printer to make some "normal" things.

Hopefully I don't need another house in 1 year, because I need more space for more and more printers ?

Edited by Smithy

I absolutely love the UM2go.  I have 3 of them.  I use them more than my other printers (UM2/UM3/S5/UMO).

See if you can find a used um2go.  In my opinion it's the best quality of all their printers and it's just a fantastic printer.  I modified all of my um2go's.  I added a heated bed to all 3, I added an olsson block and the iroberti feeder with the medusa 2x feeder upgrade.

Sounds good, thanks! 

I will try to find a used one, but seems hard. Probably everyone is happy with it as you and won't sell it ever ?

I found 2 used ones.  

@gr5 I found actually a new one, no used ones here in Austria/Europe.

So I hope I can get it today, but I would need again your help please, which upgrades are useful. 

• Heated bed of course 
    • Feeder? Which one?
    • ....??

Thanks a lot!

The UMO+ is still a really good choice as a second printer, and has a bigger build area than the UM2go.  It also doesn't need upgrades like a heated bed (it already has one) or a feeder (it has a rather crude but effective feeder already).  It's a kit, though, and you would need to assemble it, but the instructions are very good.

Thanks rowiac, I also thought about the UMO+ first, especially because it is a kit, to learn during the assembling. But I heard so much good things about the GO, so I bought today one. And I had a lot of luck, because it was the last printer in the store and because of that, they sold it for € 999.- instead of 1489.- - I think this was a great deal.

I did already 2 prints and the quality is awesome, I am really impressed, I would say better than my UM3.

I ordered now a heated bed and a 35W heater to speed things up, but I am not sure about the extruder. I had the Bondtech extruder already in the cart, but it is really expensive and I am not sure if I really need it.

Smithy, it sounds like you got a good deal on that GO.  You might try a 3D-printed extruder upgrade like the ones gr5 mentioned above before spending money on a Bondtech, but you might not even need it.

Yes I should try it. I found the iRoberti Feeder, there is also a version 2 at Youmagine.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:36 PM, gr5 said:

iroberti feeder with the medusa 2x feeder upgrade.

But what is Medusa? Is it an add-on to the feeder?

And do I need an olsson block or is it only useful if I want to change nozzles very often? At the moment I think I will stay with the .4 nozzle size, for other prints I have the UM3 with .8 print core which is easier to change. Or are there any other advantages with an Olsson Block?

meduza instructions and files here:

http://gr5.org/med/

iRoberti feeder is here:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two 

I also bought a cheap 20 euro heater and soldered in my own pt100 temp sensor.  I prefer not to ship to europe but if you want my new custom um2go heater for $30 USD and my $19 USD meduza kit (just as the screws and pulleys and belt and so on - the hardware) I'd be willing to ship to europe.  Shipping approx $20.  I also installed an olsson block for my UM2gos so I can do different nozzles.  3dsolex sells those.

I absolutely love my UM2gos.  I have 3 of them and they get used the most.

You are absolutely right gr5, the UM2Go produces really nice prints and I own it only a few hours but I love it too. Not only the quality of the prints - I did only 2 prints yet, but they look better than my UM3 prints, but it looks really funny that the small one look is the same as the big one and this gives a nice picture when they sit together on my table side by side ?

Thank you very very much for your offer, really appreciate it. I will contact you via private mail, to discuss how to handle it (ordering, payment, ...)

In the meantime I will print the parts for the feeder....