If statement in Postprocessing, Layer height

taconite

Posted · If statement in Postprocessing, Layer height

Good evening fellow 3D-printing enthusiasts,

I am new to this forum and have a problem - I couldn't find a topic with the search function. I have no idea if this is the correct forum for my inquiry - maybe a moderator could help me out.

I would like to add some code to the g-code with postprocessing. I would like to add different code dependent on the layer height like:

if(layer height==0.3)

{

// some g-code

}

elseif(layer height == 0.1)

{

// some other g-code

}

else

{

// default g-code

}

is this possible with the post-processing plug-in (I will use the search and replace function)?

what is the variable for the layer height? layer_height ... ?

I am using Cura 3.4

Thank you for your help

Best Regards

• Like 1

Read about post processing plugins.  There are bout 6 of them that come with cura.  Look at the code in them.  They use python.  Python is a general purpose language so you can do anything in a post processing script that you can do in any language.

Maybe start by looking at the names of the scripts (go to extensions, post-processing, modify g-code, then click add-a-script.  Try to find the python files that go with those script names using grep.  They'll be in the same folder tree structure as cura.

Thank you for your reply

I already did that but couldn't find a switch-case style or if-statement but anyhow because it is just python I will figure it out (I hope so).

But does anyone know how the variable for the layer height is called?

What do you mean by "variable"? A python variable? There is not global python variable for the layer height in Cura.

There is a setting called "layer_height". To get its value, you would call the method getPropertyValue on the "global stack".

global_stack = Application.getInstance().getGlobalContainerStack()
    layer_height = global_stack.getProperty("layer_height", "value")

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ahoeben said:

What do you mean by "variable"? A python variable? There is not global python variable for the layer height in Cura.

There is a setting called "layer_height". To get its value, you would call the method getPropertyValue on the "global stack".

global_stack = Application.getInstance().getGlobalContainerStack()
    layer_height = global_stack.getProperty("layer_height", "value")

Thanks, I could definitely use that at some point!

What would the spelling look like for "material_standby_temperature"?

Global_stack.getProperty (material_standby_temperature, value) returns only the default value of fdmprinter.def.json.

It would be best if extruders were also possible dependent!

26 minutes ago, zerspaner_gerd said:

Global_stack.getProperty (material_standby_temperature, value) returns only the default value of fdmprinter.def.json.

That is because material_standby_temperature is set per extruder, so instead of the global stack you need to look at one of the extruder stacks.

For example, this gets the standby temperature set for the first extruder:

first_extruder_stack = ExtruderManager.getInstance().getActiveExtruderStacks()[0]
    material_standby_temperature = first_extruder_stack.getProperty("material_standby_temperature", "value")

• Like 2

Excuse me @ahoeben ?,

has changed a bit with Cura 3.5.1, it does not work anymore.

t0_extruder_stack = ExtruderManager.getInstance().getActiveExtruderStacks()[0]

The post processing plugin is not displayed at all, if I hide it it will appear again for selection.

I tried a lot, without success. I do not know where to read up something.

Check cura.log in Help -> Show configuration folder. Search for the id (filename without .py) of your script, and it should give you a hint about why it is not loading. If not, I'm going to have to see the entire script.

2018-10-25 23:29:12,563 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [84]: Exception: Exception occurred while loading post processing plugin: list index out of range
    2018-10-25 23:29:12,565 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    2018-10-25 23:29:12,566 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.5\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\PostProcessingPlugin.py", line 155, in loadScripts
    2018-10-25 23:29:12,567 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:     temp_object = loaded_class()
    2018-10-25 23:29:12,568 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.5\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\scripts\test2_settings_cura.py", line 22, in __init__
    2018-10-25 23:29:12,569 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:     self.t0_extruder_stack = ExtruderManager.getInstance().getActiveExtruderStacks()[0]
    2018-10-25 23:29:12,570 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]: IndexError: list index out of range

It had worked with Cura 3.4.
    Have now changed the order, now it seems to work again!

That was my previous one sequence:

from ..Script import Script
    from UM.Application import Application
    from cura.Settings.ExtruderManager import ExtruderManager
    import re

class test2_settings_cura(Script):
        version = "1.0.0"
        def __init__(self):
            super().__init__()
            ########################################################################################################################
            self.global_stack = Application.getInstance().getGlobalContainerStack()
            self.t0_extruder_stack = ExtruderManager.getInstance().getActiveExtruderStacks()[0]
            self.t1_extruder_stack = ExtruderManager.getInstance().getActiveExtruderStacks()[1]
            ########################################################################################################################

def getSettingDataString(self):
            return """{
                "name":"Test Settings Cura """ + self.version + """",
                "key": "test2_settings_cura",
                "metadata": {},
                "version": 2,
                "settings":
                {

}
            }"""

def execute(self, data):
            layers_started = False

layer_height = self.global_stack.getProperty("layer_height", "value")
            Turm = self.global_stack.getProperty("prime_tower_position_x", "value")
            flover = self.global_stack.getProperty("machine_gcode_flavor", "value")

material_standby_temperature_T0 = self.t0_extruder_stack.getProperty("material_standby_temperature", "value")
            material_standby_temperature_T1 = self.t1_extruder_stack.getProperty("material_standby_temperature", "value")

for layer in data:
                modified_layer = ""

index = data.index(layer)
                lines = layer.split("\n")
                for line in lines:

if ";Generated with Cura_SteamEngine " in line:
                        modified_layer += ";With Dual Script RepRap Duet3D V%s\n" % self.version + line +"\n\n"

modified_layer += ";TES TESTE Layer:%f\n\n" % layer_height
                        modified_layer += ";TES TESTE tover pos.x:%f\n\n" % Turm
                        modified_layer += ";TES TESTE flover:%s\n\n" % flover
                        modified_layer += ";TES TESTE Standby_T0:%s\n\n" % material_standby_temperature_T0
                        modified_layer += ";TES TESTE Standby_T1:%s\n\n" % material_standby_temperature_T1

layers_started = True
                        continue

if not layers_started:
                        #insert original line
                        modified_layer += line + "\n"
                        continue

else:
                        #insert original line
                        if line == "":
                            modified_layer += line
                        else:
                            modified_layer += line + "\n"

#replace the layer with the modified data
                data[index] = modified_layer
            return data

No matter you, now it works again
    Thanks

Without looking too much into the rest of the code, you are looking up the stacks in the __init__ method. That method gets called when the PostProcessing script discovers the available scripts, which might be before Cura has finished loading the printers from your configuration. Even if it worked, the information would also be incorrect once you changed to another printer in Cura.

Don't do postprocessing things in __init__, but do them in execute.

• Like 1