How to pause print to change nozel and infil

clinton

Posted · How to pause print to change nozel and infil

For the top 2mm of my print I need extra detail and strength so I would like to pause the print to change the nozzle and  infill.

Can this be done with Cura 3.4.1?

It can be done with the UM3 - you can have different nozzle sizes on the two loaded cores.

For single nozzle printers you could print 2 different parts that interlock somewhat (for strength) and glue them together.

You could also slice the same part with each nozzle and there used to be a plugin in cura 14.X that would splice the two gcode files together. But you can do it yourself with a text editor - splice 2 gcode files together.  Learn about G92 first to set the extruder correctly at the splice.

Thanks, got that now but it doesn't let me change the infill - I thought it did but my memory failed me.

I found this uTube link yesterday, https://youtu.be/DGso6sAIXb0, which seems to describe the method to do what I want but I can't quite grasp how to get the separate .stl files of the hexagon example back together on the Cura build plate. When I open them they end up on edge and I can't see a way of putting them back together accurately.

2018-09-09 11_46_27-CompatWindow.png

Posted (edited) · How to pause print to change nozel and infil

image.thumb.png.e58db364df5685091de5f2b8e347a57d.png

This picture show a possible solution. You can see the narrow column which represents the object to be printed. The larger box on top is set as a mesh which modifies settings. Those settings are specified by per object settings on the left.

Assuming you start printing with a 0.4mm nozzle and 20% infill (settings on the right) you can change to a line width corresponding to a 0.25mm nozzle and 50% infill setting inside this modification mesh.

The only thing left to do is to stop the printer before it starts the part inside the modification mesh and this can be done with the PauseAtHeight postproc script (box), stopping the printer at the height in question. When that happened you can use "change material" on your printer and reload the same filament but exchange the nozzle during the procedure.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer
    • Like 2