UM2+ dual head / single extrusion

bastienb

Posted · UM2+ dual head / single extrusion

Hello guys,

I want to run different tests on my UM2+, basically I want to be able to toy a bit with a head (heat block, nozzle, cartdridge, feeder, etc.) but I want to keep the abilities to print.

So I was thinking of keeping my stock head, and building the custom made one next to it, on the available slot. To avoid the nozzle collision issue, I'll just have to install the nozzle of the head I want to use... But I do not know how to do it properly at a software level. The aim is to be as smooth as possible when using a head or the other.

If you happen to know some documentation I did not find, I'll be glad to know ! For the moment the doc about dual head / dual extrusion are not giving me answers.

And if you have any ideas how to do that... I'll be very happy to hear !

Thanks for the help and have a nice day ?

I'm still having issues on this subject but so far i've pieced together

Extrusion upgrade kit (hardware)

Tinkerware (firmware)

Use Marlin GCode from Cura

Make custom Start and End Code in cura

Still trying to get tinkerware to work well with dual extrusion without having head travel issues. It could be start and end code that cura is inserting...

Also If you upgrade your cura to 3.4.1 and delete the base printer cura thinks that it is corrupt and if you say yes to the window that pops up it will delete all your custom machine configurations that you create.

• Like 1

Ok ! Maybe I did not explain this properly... I want two heads but only single extrusion. Basically, if I want to print a vase, I want to be able to print it completely using the right head alone (without a nozzle inserted on the left head). Then the print is finished and I remove the part. And then I print it with the left head alone (without a nozzle inserted on the right head).

That's why I posted this, there is a lot of doc about multiple head AND multiple extrusion on the UM2+, but nothing on multiple head and single extrusion.

Is it easier to understand ? Maybe I missed something on your explanation too ^^ just tell me

Basically I want smg like the picture. I'll print a mount for the additional feeder (like the mark2 mod) and I remove the nozzle of the unwanted head. Then I'll have to find a way to connect the other components and to be able to "switch" when slicing...

UM2-3D-printer-Ultimaker2-complete-print-head-hot-end-kit-all-metal-printing-head-double-head.jpg_640x640.jpg

31 minutes ago, bastienb said:

Then I'll have to find a way to connect the other components and to be able to "switch" when slicing...

First of all you should check, if your UM2+ has a mainboard where all five stepper driver chips are in place. And whether you have the (older) printhead where the plastic pieces still have the holes for the second bowden tube. Irrespective of that all electrical connectors for a second extruder are present (stepper motor, heater and temperature sensor).

You would have to install a firmware for dual extrusion and configure the printer in Cura for two extruders. I think, it is possible to disable the unused extruder in Cura and slice only for the other one. I'm not sure, if this requires changes to the start gcode. Probably not, if you use gcode flavor "Ultimaker".

• Like 1

First of all, thanks a lot @tinkergnome for your help ? I very appreciate your work and it totally change my every day life of production with the UM2+ ?

I put the pics of the printer. I think there is enough room for the electronics but the plastic part only have one hole. And I would have to find a way to attach the second Bondtech extruder.

Thanks for your input, I'll play with cura to see if it is possible.

P1010950.JPG

P1010951.JPG

P1010952.JPG

Posted (edited) · UM2+ dual head / single extrusion

bastienb I believe I might have already been able to to do what you are saying with tinkerware. I was able to print something with extruder 1 by itself without using extruder 2 then was able to print with extruder 2 without using extruder 1. My issue occured when I tried using both extruders in a single print. If you only need to use one extruder at a time for a print that is achievable with tinkerware without modifying start or end code. The only adjustments that I had to make to print with extruder 1 or extruder 2 were in cura by enabling an extruder and disabling an extruder with a custom FDM printer profile with marlin G code.

Edited by michelide
    • Like 1

Thanks @michelide. And what about the plastic bit of the head, did you have to drill it too ?

10 hours ago, bastienb said:

what about the plastic bit of the head

well, you can ask an Ultimaker reseller if the part from the UM2 is still available, the part number is 1320

Or try to print it, all step-files are on GitHub:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/tree/master/1320_Print_Head_Top_(x1)

The hole in the fan shroud can probably be drilled out.

If the parts are not longer available.... well - you can always fall back to the "Aliexpress-way"...

• Like 1

tthis whole question reminded me of this.... though with a different goal

• Like 1

I guess I got both my ultimaker 2s before they removed the second hole from the fan plate, the aluminum block and plastic material feed through shell... It was quite a bit of work adapt the parts from the extruder upgrade kit and mix them with the original parts that were already on the machine...

• Like 1

(thanks guys ! waiting for the extra feeder motor I totally forgot to buy... otherwise I have everything ready ? )