Polyalchemy Elixir tests

kmanstudios

Posted · Polyalchemy Elixir tests

Ok, so far I have been running a lot of prints with Polyalchemy's Elixir with PVA and no issues there as I expected. However, I am doing a two colour test right now and the results are very nice. This means that I am having to use the PLA as a support. the main objects are sturdy, so no thin, spindly tests so far. But the support came off like a breeze and any little oddities from the nozzles (little protuberances or 'threads)  as it starts to print a layer just come off cleanly with a fingernail and leave no marks or blemishes on the surface. It should be noted I am not using a priming tower on any prints nor do I use an ooze shield. So, for my tests with the two color design, I am very happy with this stuff. Very pretty filament. Whilst not sure of strength, pretty is what I am doing not strength.

I will post some pics when the current test print comes off the S5.

And how does it handle cutting and sanding? Does this leave dirty marks, or is it smooth?

Like some PLA gets ugly white marks or becomes terribly fibrous, when cutting or sanding it, while on some others it is barely visible?

I haven't seen it in reality, but on photos I like the satin-metalic shine.

This is the mini test for lettering inset and switch placement. The switch cavity has been tightened a bit on the left and right and the mounting pole extended.

This picture was of it on the buildplate with all the supports still in place. You can see the burs and strings from not using the ooze shield or a priming tower. Most importantly, no color pollution.

OnTheBuildplate.thumb.jpg.b2f1ccc13ce58e68a7b26d71f73ebfa7.jpg

This is just a couple of minutes with the fingernail to remove the burs and strings. For the final, I will put more time to make it as clean as need be. But, not much work.

1776523519_AQuickClean.thumb.jpg.2356157c4622b9094d45ddbb690fd4a0.jpg

And the switch in place to test now well it mounted. It would have been tighter, but honestly, I forgot I have a micrometer for doing real measurements. Dummy me. But, I have tightened it on the left and right. Other than that discrepancy, it works. I had some test lettering that filled in the negative space and it worked just fine. I will be printing out the final lettering tomorrow in the proper color. A dark Blue (Polyalchemy Elixir Night Sky) so that it bounces out of the copper field, but is not the same as the black. This whole project will take about a month to print barring any printing mishaps. All printed on the S5 since that is the machine it will be printed on sans the logo inset on the base.

SwitchInPlace.thumb.jpg.e8f7cc535bec83961ba751c0bb2abc21.jpg

That's great @kmanstudios! I'm looking to try this filament, specially Merlot color and/or another one. Do you have any color recomendation of those ones that you got?

Where did you buy it, Printed Solid? Did you see if someone else is selling it in U.S?  and...

What about the profile, it's a standart PLA profile or you need to tweek anything else like temp or retraction distance? Let's think that my standard PLA profile is Ultimaker PLA = Colorfabb PLA/PHA (I suppose that you have one of those) ? 

Sorry to ask to much.:

21 minutes ago, fergazz said:

Do you have any color recomendation of those ones that you got?

The colours I have are: Merlot, Nightsky, Nightshade, Green, Copper, Gold, Natural and Summer Days. Summer Days is the only one I am not crazy about. for some reason, it just does not shimmer like the others. Other than that, no particular favorite as they all have different qualities worth investigating. Night Sky is a deep blue, Merlot is a wine colour and Night Shade is a deep purple. So, go for the colours you like.

23 minutes ago, fergazz said:

Where did you buy it, Printed Solid?

Yep, printed solid and good pricing too.

24 minutes ago, fergazz said:

What about the profile, it's a standart PLA profile or you need to tweek anything else like temp or retraction distance?

I have printed on the UM3E and S5 and just used standard settings. No tweaking about.

24 minutes ago, fergazz said:

Sorry to ask to much.:

Why? It is what we are here for, to ask and learn, yes?

• Thanks 1

Elixir looks really great, but it seems no chance to get it here somewhere in Europe.

26 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Elixir looks really great, but it seems no chance to get it here somewhere in Europe.

That surprises me very much. I thought Europe got the cool stuff first.....

13 hours ago, Smithy said:

This company in the Netherlands has it. They are the official distributor in the Benelux. I don't know if they ship to outside the Benelux, but you could ask.

https://www.jwb3dprinting.nl/

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot - I will check it....

Fillamentum (from Czech Republic) also have some awesome colors of PLA for artistic application ... a bit different but they have some kind of shimmer like the Vertigo Gray one and the new Vertigo Starlight (released at the end of August). I have the white one Fillametum and it have a very good diameter tolerance, varying just 0.02mm in this roll. 

Even better, I will check it too. Thanks a lot!

2 hours ago, fergazz said:

Fillamentum (from Czech Republic) also have some awesome colors of PLA for artistic application

I have some of that too. Where one leaves off, the other picks up.

damn, I need both ?

Posted (edited) · Polyalchemy Elixir tests

I like the filumentum silver much more than the Polyalchemy silver. They do not have the same effect color wise. But they are nice compliments. I did a batman bust using polyalchemy Nightsky for theblue/black parts of the costume, Filumentum silver for the grey and polyalchemy natural for the face and eyes. I will be painting the face. Already put a dark wash over the Blue just to darken it a bit, but not lose the sheen.

Will post the print when I get the face painted.

Edit: painted, it is already printed.

Edited by kmanstudios

looks like https://www.jwb3dprinting.nl/ only has 1.75 filament....

Shit - sometimes I really hate that UM is using 2.85 filament.

I looked at a lot of other printers, because I want to buy a second one, cheaper kit or something like that, but they all use 1.75 and I don't want to have both diameters of filament on stock.