Hello From Toronto Canada!

alice-golden

Posted · Hello From Toronto Canada!

Hello Ultimaker WORLD!

I'm going to be ordering a kit today with some extras, and i'm really Excited!

I talked to Marrit from Sales, and They were very helpful and replied to my multiple Emails in less than a day!

I had some questions about making payment with other than Paypal, as they request to be attached to your bank account directly, and that sounds creepy, the system said that I couldn't pay with a credit card, which was strange, since I have ordered items from all over the world hundreds of times, including a full water cooling kit from Aquatuning and EK [ yes I'm a geek, I had help overclocking to render design and video faster ;) plus I cant stand the Vacuum cleaner video cards ..lol.. ]

Anyway, I was directed to the Business payment details page, where I will be making a payment directly from my bank, hopefully it all goes well !

I was asked to make sure the funds are converted to Euros before sending, and I'll let you all know how it goes, as I'm sure there's likely other people surfing around here trying to find out exactly how to get one of these machines ordered.

I'll be grabbing the main kit, the controller thingy, a spare hot end (it's already expensive so what the heck), and 3 extra rolls of filament (which makes 4 with the free silver one)

I'm crazy excited, I've been reading into this tech for a few months now, and I'm going to take the plunge!

I'll have some help putting it together from a Engineering student, my friend Erik ( I read theres a guy with the same name behind the invention of this machine too, cool, guys named Erik seem to be really smart :) ..lol )

Anyway, I hope I can get help from the community on how to make this thing work, theres' so many things I want to print, and hopefully I can make a market for something and make it pay for itself !

I'll keep you all posted about the process and I hope I really like it!!!

Cheers! :-P

Hi Alice. Welcome!! Another Ultimaker on this side of the Atlantic! Even nearly 18 months after I got my Ultimaker, I still find it a pretty exciting technology, so I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it :-)

We're a pretty friendly bunch, so just let us know if you need any help. :-)

Hi Alice, Welcome to the community!

If you need any help completing your payment, please contact the support team :)

Credit card is an option, but only via paypal. We are working on making this more accessible.

This website contains all the info you need to complete a wire-transfer: http://blog.ultimaker.com/businesspayment-details/

Your order should guarantee you for countless hours of fun, creativity and amazement!

Erik is one of the founders, the other two are named Martijn and Siert :)

Good to see a fellow Torontonian! Welcome and congrats on your purchase! I'm certain you'll have loads of fun with your new machine. Better start brushing up on those 3d skills eh? :p

Alright!

finally the wire payment has been made through the bank, So lets see what happens next, I'm really excited to start printing stuff!

I would just like to say the sales team at Ultimaker have done an excellent job helping me to feel better about sending so much money to the other side of the planet ..lol.. I was apprehensive at first, beside my car and my computer, this is the most expensive thing I have bought! But they have been really helpful and answered my emails quickly, and I am convinced this will be great!

So now the wait begins :)

Thank you guys so much for your help, as I'm positive I'll need it ..lol

My dad has taught me allot about building things, and I have some friends who are practically wizards with techy stuff, but for the rest of the time, I'll definitely be coming back here for all the help I can get! :geek:

Hi illuminarti, yea I wonder how many people in north america have machines? And, I think I've driven through memphis before in one of my trips south of the border :) Have you ever been to Canada?

Hi SandervG, Thanks, and yea, my friend is from finland, something about you euro techy guys is fascinating, not afraid of anything complicated ..lol .. he helped convince me we can build this thing, I'm excited!

Hi Valcro, T-DOT in the House! ..loooool, I was hoping I wasn't the only person here from ontario, good, did you get a machine yet? and yea, I'm not so bad in photoshop and a bunch of other arty programs, and I learned a bit of Zbrush, autocad, 3ds.. with my dad, but yea I'm about to start learning more, and I'm hoping the software that comes with the machine is good too, at least I know I have my monster compooter to power it :p

nice to meet you guys, I'm sure I'll be asking you many questions :huh: Beware!

Cheers X2!

I'm really not sure of the count, but it's quite a few, and at least some of us are pretty vocal on here :-)

I'm English by birth, but I've lived in Memphis for 15 years. I've not spent much time in Canada though - mostly for conferences in Quebec, and a week in Victoria many years ago.

Hi Valcro, T-DOT in the House! ..loooool, I was hoping I wasn't the only person here from ontario, good, did you get a machine yet? and yea, I'm not so bad in photoshop and a bunch of other arty programs, and I learned a bit of Zbrush, autocad, 3ds.. with my dad, but yea I'm about to start learning more, and I'm hoping the software that comes with the machine is good too, at least I know I have my monster compooter to power it :p

Yup, I've had mine for like 4 months now.. you'll be glad to hear shipping is quite fast, at least for me. ~3-4 days over the weekend. That's like 1 business day.

I've chronicled my initial experiences here if you feel like a long read: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2128-new-ultimaker-kit-review-first-samples/

Good that you've worked with 3Ds & zbrush. photoshop not so useful on a 3d printer. :p The software that it comes with aren't really creation tools. It's a slicer, that translates your 3D model from Max to printer lingo. You can actually download the Slicer software now if you're so inclined and play around with it, it's on the wiki page.

Wait when did you become a moderator illuminarti? Were you always a mod?

LOL. I don't remember exactly. I guess it was about 3 months ago now...?

iluminarti, yea BC is beautiful, the air is so fresh, and the people are so chill, and I've been to Quebec at least 20 times now ..lol .. Its just north of me, LOVE the poutine! Thats cool you're English, do you still have the accent? :rolleyes:

Valcro, wow really' you got the machine that fast eh, I was reading around that it may take much longer, I guess we'll see, I REALLY hope it comes fast, cuz then I will have more time to build it before I go on a trip next month ::crosses fingers::

and yea, I think I'll likely be using 3Ds more for it, I'll have to go through all the tutorial stuff my dad has again to learn it, but I've been into design on computers since I was 14, so I think I'll be alright. :p

Ohh and I haven't had the chance to look at it more, but I saw briefly in the new photoshop that there is more extrusion 3D abilities, definitely not like other programs, but I think there may be a way to do more curvy/abstract/"direct from graphics" 3D stuff in photoshop, I'll look at it again later, but that would be cool for stuff that doesn't need to be super accurate ^_^

Yea, I'm gonna grab the (Cura I think it's called) software just now, and mess around with it.

iluminarti, yea BC is beautiful, the air is so fresh, and the people are so chill, and I've been to Quebec at least 20 times now ..lol .. Its just north of me, LOVE the poutine! Thats cool you're English, do you still have the accent? :rolleyes:

I'm frequently told that I do, yes. But I think it may just be a vicious rumo(u)r...

Yea, I'm gonna grab the (Cura I think it's called) software just now, and mess around with it.

Cura is an excellent tool that Daid is actively developing, and it's getting better and better. There are other slicers too, that give more control - such as Kisslicer, or Slic3r - but they are also more complicated. I'd start with Cura, and see how far that gets you.

Another good free tool is Repetier Host. That works as a front-end to Slic3r, but also has some good gcode visualization capabilities that let you step through the gcode file, and see line by line how the print head will move and extrude plastic. The gcode language that the printer speaks is pretty simple, but learning the basics of it will help you get the best out of your printer (and will be an interesting little project while you wait for the printer!).

IT CAME!

I'm so happy! This is awesome!

I officially ordered/paid for it last tuesday, and it came yesterday! (well I actually missed the guy, and he came back today :p ) So thats less than a week!

I would just like to say again, the whole process was completely painless and I felt totally supported the whole time, the sales team - and everyone else I talked to - was totally excellent and professional. Thanks Ultimaker!

For everyone ordering to canada, there was no duty, it was $200 and change' tax at the door (COD), which sounds right, cuz it's 13% GST tax here right now... I think. The grand total with 4 rolls of filament, spare hot thingy, the Ultacontroller, insured DHL shipping ($130ish), exchange fee at the bank for - CAN to Euro ($20 I think), was just under $2,400 - Ouch I know - if your reading this thinking thats allot - well when you go through the steps, and see the charges 1,200 Euro for the machine - extra stuff - shipping - tax - and so on, you can see it's not that bad, and you can really tell it's a boat load of serious Tech stuff! I mean, the box is dense HoLLEY, and from what I can tell so far, it's extra heavy-duty pro parts - my dad says getting these parts made, and finding them at stores, never mind shipping/travel - would be much more expensive in the end.

The box looks pretty good, just a few bumps, one corner got smushed a bit, I know theres some horror stories on here, but the packing looks ok, the inside is fine and everything was really secure in place, it's like triple thick cardboard and packed really well ;)

So now I've opened it up, and I took some pics - I made a cheesy unboxing video for all those asking out there ..lol

hope you like my artist strong hands ...lol

So I will wait for my helper to put it together, hopefully tomorrow, I called him and he sounded like he fell out of his chair when I said it came today - he said he's gonna clear the schedule to assemble it !!

So I really hope all the parts are here, and everything is in order, I'll keep you all posted on my progress and I'll try to put together a little video and upload it when I'm done.

CHEEEEERS!! NETHERLANDS!! :wub:

haha i am glad to hear everything arrived in a good condition!

Enjoy the assembly and feel free to keep us updated with your progress, and especially your first prints! :)

By the way, where can i find the video for unboxing? :)

I'm glad to hear that it came so quickly. It took me 3 months to get mine here in England.... But that was back in 2011 when the first started selling and couldn't keep up with demand. I think the company only consisted of about 3 people at the time. They sure have grown quickly.

Good luck putting it together. Remember to take your time and be methodical. Some people have issues, but I think the vast majority of the builds go smooth. I know mine was easy.

It's cool to see one in Toronto. I'm originally from TO, but I've been living in England now for about 3 and half years.

Cheers,

Troy.

I'm Back! But theres' a problem !!!

Well a couple actually.

I just got back from my wonderful trip to vancouver, T'was nice :) I wanted to put together the machine before going but some things came up. Anyway, so I got back a few days ago, and we quickly poped the kit out and basically had a rave in my basement for 2 days putting it together. ...lol.

Unfortunetly, there were some problems right off the bat.

The got-to-be biggest bag of screws M3x16mm was missing,

if you've put one of these together you know you need like 80 or so...... crap.

I didn't like the way that was sounding, but rather than make a big deal ( I'm sure it would be fixed ), we quickly looked around for screws - couldn't be that hard right -- wrong! .. welcome to Imperial country! - we found them after searching forever at a hobby store, but in the end it cost me no less than $45 dollars for the screws (and he gave us a deal) - apparently it's near IMPOSSIBLE to find metric anything here, we checked brafasco, fastenall, parts stores, hardware stores, you name it! .. Gahhhh!

Anyway, we thought it would be a good idea to just finish building the printer before saying anything incase there was anything else potentially wrong - I mean I asked if the kit could be checked before coming ......... ... anyway.

that was really frustrating.

So we went through the instructions, at some points it sounded like martian laguage to me, but luckly I had a translator, there is definetly a few places we wrote changes to the instructions to make more sense out of it, I'm guessing it's from making revisions and not combing through to make corrections, or just changing a line of text and a pic and not looking at the whole thing. It could have been better at a few points where you find out that you need to dismantle half the thing to do something that should have been mentioned earlyer - out of order! .... anyway if you have a good techie person with you we got through everything alright, I'll add my 2cents to the blog thing where we made corrections/suggestions.

We got to near the end and found that there must be a whole bag of parts missing for the extruder - it's like MANY parts, I wont detail it here, but I'm sure they'll send them to me, ::sigh:: it's sitting there now - not working, and we are sad. :(

Also there's something wrong with the main board, but I'm going to discuss that with Untimaker.

I really hope I can get this fixed soon, because I'm really excited about printing a few ideas I've already scetched out, my other friend is digitizing them for me, I'll show you guys when it's working. I hope X o_O X

Anyway, aside from all that, I would just like to say, this thing is soLID - at first I was like wood?, but NO KIDDING - this thing is fit together like 'tigher than tight! , it becomes an entirely solid mass that feels really well built, I'm sure other materials would be stronger/heavyer, but I'm satisfied this will be just fine to print stuff. I cant wait to see it in action!.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Hey SandervG, Yes I was very excited to get the printer so quickly!, a few things came up and just clobbered my attempts to get it built, guhhh, but I came back now and ..well /as above/ and I'll be happy to show everyone my prints and share the videos, but I'd really like to get this figured out first, also a friend of mine is thinking of ordering a unit as well to his place in london, and then bringing it here ..errr something, and we were thinking of making an official step by step video - from scratch - on how to make it properly, like 4 or 5 hours long, and you can pause it :) ... but thats down the road.

Anyway, now I'm going to write to Ultimaker about the missing pc's .... blehh

(I'm holding back being mad btw. can you tell?)

Hello CodeMaven - Troy :)

Nice you're from here! how is it there? - I have a bunch of friends that moved here' from england - and a few that moved there - from here ..lol ... it's like an exchange thing between our countries :D ..and illuminarti ended up in the States .. heh .. Yea it came really quick I was so excited, the staff at Ultimaker are great .. they just need to check the boxes more when sending stuff, there is ALLOT of bits and pc's in it I know, but 5 mins or less on each box would be great for us' .. anyway, maybe I can work for Ultimaker just checking the packages ..lol

Cheers mate!

Hm, that's quite the opposite experience that I had. There was a few times where I thought I was for sure missing pieces, but they just weren't in their logical locations. I was sure they forgot to pack the linear bearings, but they were in a separate place in a separate bag. Some parts were found in an unsuspecting tiny cardboard box. Eventually everything was there, thankfully. Wouldn't want to have ordered or wait for parts from the EU so I can understand your frustration.

Missing a big bag of m3 screws seems like a pretty big QA mishap though, and there's no way you'd not find that one... I thought we were metric here in Canada, but then I realized I've never had to buy screws...ever.

Still, you should post any problems you have here, people are much quicker to reply here than on tech support, and their tech support isn't slow.. it's just these guys are really fast. Take pics, post them up, you'll get a quick response.

Best of luck with your build!

Hey Valcro, Oops i got it wrong - we are missing parts for the Material Feeder - not the extruder, we found this near the end when we had used most of the parts, lol .. yea there was a couple times we thought something might be missing, but we had everything layed out on a separate table and it was all there, well almost. I understnad with such a large assortment of parts it increases the chances of missing stuff, so ..blehh .. but i'm sure we'll get it up and running soonz' .. I just wrote a ticket thing, I'm guessing they'll see it tomorrow.

the wait continues...

Hi Alice,

I am sorry for my late reply. Given your reply (on the blog post?) i assume the missing pieces have been sent and you have your Ultimaker up and running? I am sorry to hear you had parts missing.

Of course we check everything before it leaves, but for example the screws we don't pack every set individually so can not check every single screw. I hope you understand.

Anyway, if you need my help for anything, i would be happy to hear from you.

Have a great day!

Hi SandervG,

Ok first I would just like to say that Marrit from Ultimaker has been helping me continuously for days about my machine!

I'm really happy about the responce I'm getting, I Feel this is a great company that has it's stuff together! And thank yOu very much for offering help too :) I'm positive I'll be needing it .. lol

First testing revealed that 2 of the motor-driver boards wern't responding, and they're not, they're DOA, the other 2 that Are working we used to iron out the problems I was having with the main board, I thought the whole thing was %#*@ .. howeverrr - Silly me didn't know that the extruder/material feeder output/motor doesn't run unless the 'head' is nice and heated! I'm sure it's written sOMewhere, but yea, lol ... maybe thats something we could put in the instructions in the feeder section so silly girls like me know! :) Thanks Marrit. .. I'm new at this....

WARNING: To all the Noobs out there that dont know this - The MATERIAL FEEDER DOESN'T RUN IF NOT HEATED!

(use the prepare/preheat command to get the head hot, then control it)

Anyway, that came about because I didn't get THAT far in the initial testing, one limit switch wasn't working so I was stopped short in the Cura 'Sanity' testing, and didn't get to test very much - also the majority of the parts fer the feeder were unfortunetly not included.. :/ ... and the screws that were missing was a whole bag, like a big one - 70 to 100 pc's err something .. ouch ... But like I said, I'm sure it was just a freak accident, it's ok :)

I believe all is worked out now! - I'm waitin' for a reply from Ulta-help for when the parts will be sent, then I'll get this little monster hummin'! - ohh and I just haVE to run the Zelda theme song on it - LOL - we saw that on youBoob, and you have NO idea how badly I need that file! .. :D I played that game on my brothers nintendo when I was like 5, I made it pretty far, and that gannon dude was a bi*%@ch stealin' the keys and whatever .. I'm gonna go back and kick his ass one day..

But I digress, SO yea just waitin'on an email ... I'll keep you guys updated! You have a great day too Sander! :)

The parts came!

And I would just like to say Ultimaker was quite generous ;) Thank you

SO I'm hoping I'll be able to put the final parts together tomorrow, and I'll get this thing wORkin! AWESOME!

I have at least 50 items lined up to print, but first we are gonna do all the test printing thing-a-ma-jig-ers, and make sure it's all lined up. sOOO excited. I'll post everything up somewhere to show the whole process, stay tuned!

Thanks again Ultimaker!

Cheers!