Replacement Bowden Tube ??

Posted · Replacement Bowden Tube ??

What are people using when the standard Bowden tube needs replacing ?, I find after a while the collect at the extruder cannot grip the tube so either needs replacing or trimming. The UM tube is quite expensive for what it is, has anyone found an upgraded version (with less friction) for example. Is the standard tube PTFE, not sure it is ?.

Posted (edited) · Replacement Bowden Tube ??

The standard tube is PFA. PTFE is milky white. If that does not bother you, you can use also a 1/4"-1/8" PTFE tubing which is usually about half the price of PFA.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

Bondtech sells a PTFE tube and you can order to length. Other sources usually only sell a roll, about 250€

I had to cut mine off a bit today.

It's a standard UM tube, it has shrunk so much at the hot end that I can't pull out the wire. Think I'll get some PTFE 

Had some feeding issues I thought was clogged print head, wrong...

IMG_20180921_16401.thumb.jpg.c64de9b73d4e4b2e6190dfd3709e75bc.jpg

Edited by AndersK

Yes, I have seen the bondtech PTFE, from what I have read Ultimaker used to use PTFE then changed due to the new material as it was better heat resistance. I am in two minds with is the better choice and haven’t managed to find a definitive answer. 

I believe ptfe is better in everything but transparency over PFA.

Higher heat resistance and less friction, maybe little less flexible.

I still have long enough tube for printing but I'll try ptfe when its time for replacement

Interesting, as the main complaint I have with the PFA is after a while the collet in the extruder stops holding the tube as well as you get movement. You can trim the tube slightly to reseat the collet but it’s a pain. Obviously it just wears a bit over time as the tube is pushed and pulled during retractions. I wonder if the PTFE is more resistant/less prone to this ??. 

One thing that should help is a upcoming update to be 2/2+ firmware to stop the extruder pushing filament hard into the hot end whenever a material change takes place. This will clearly stretch the tube/collet as it pushes so hard it grinds the filament a bit. 

Great discussion. I have recently bought PTFE tubes from 3D Solex:
    http://3dsolex.com/product/bowden-tube-clips/

Installed 1 so far and - without testing it systematically - I have the impression that feeding issues are gone that I had before.

I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with the PTFE tube.

Edited by conny_g

I see Bondtech sell PTFE tubing of what they say is a specific size to be nice and snug on 2.85 filament. It’s purchase by the meter. Anyone tried this ?. I can’t seem to find anywhere to buy it apart from bond tech direct in the US, none of their retailers have it !

Some reding about PFA and PTFE:

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-ptfe-and-vs-pfa/

PTFE has superior wear and friction properties, used in sliding bearings and that is the only material a Gecko cant climb.

Since you are in the UK a better option to order is directly from them in Sweden, about 4,30 GBP/meter

https://www.bondtech.se/en/product-category/accessories/ptfe-tube/

Ok thanks. I have ordered some of their tubing, postage is a bit steep so I ordered 3m, which gives me 4 Bowden tubes at around 75cm. Should be more than enough. Should be interesting to compare to the standard which doesn’t seem too slippery considering. Hopefully this is a worthy upgrade ! 

Yeah, small package domestic can cost as much as getting 30 kg from UK to here....

Let us know how it works out with the new tube

Will do, my big concern will be if the collets can hold the tube well enough. I have made some custom clips to pull the collet higher and grip the tube more, so can experiment with those. 

Has anyone new experience about the 3D solex bowden tube. The idea I think is quit good using a PTFE tube but why is Ultimaker not using it in the newer models?!

I have the small problem that i get a bit less material when the printhead is near the rear right corner, next to the extruder. Maybe because of the high friction due the strong bend it has to make. 

I am not sure of getting the 3D Solex one or the original, but I am sure the I change the tube at on time because I heard that you should change it after time of use. 

Edited by PhilDesign

Has any one tried these guys for bowden tubes? They claim even less friction

https://www.captubes.com/

my bondtech PTFE tube arrived, I ordered 3m so that gives me 4 lengths of 75cm which is longer than standard so gives it a nicer curve. There is def less friction running filament through by hand and the overall quality seems very good, its the same OD as the Ultimaker tube so the collars grip the tube nicely. So far very impressed, not sure I will be able to quantity the affect on print quality, but all seems positive so far.

update on this one for anyone interested, I have one concern with the PTFE after using it for a while, you can feel more movement on the tube within the collet in the extruder end.  What I mean by that is when a retraction is is taking place you can feel the tube move slightly in the collet (I fully expect this to get worse over time), I have printed some thicker collect clips (the blue one) to pull the clamp higher and grip the tube tighter, but still (I assume due to the PTFE being softer) the tube flexes more than the standard UM version. At it stands I am not sure which works out better, slightly less resistance of the PTFE but also the increased movement in the collet. TBH I am thinking the standard tube is the better option as this movement m (even when slight) will make the retractions less accurate.

in summary, this isn’t an improvement I would recommend. 

Edited by Link
    • Like 1