Round Drawing Helical on Cura?

Posted · Round Drawing Helical on Cura?

I have a part that i need to print for a project i am working on and i am just looking for some advice.

The part i have drawn up in inventor is round but when i put it into Cura it gives me a helical shape, i played around with settings to try and get it round but have not succeeded can anyone give me some advice or steps to follow to fix this?

RSA_Drue

2018-09-17 (2).png

It has nothing to do with Cura, you have to look in your CAD application and look if you can set to use more polygons for the export.

Even if the object looks round, it is made from a lot of polygons and when exporting with "rough" settings, this is the result in Cura.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

RSA Drue did this solve your helical to round problem?  I am experiencing the same thing.  If it worked what exactly did you have to do?  I see that the default setting is the Brep and there are options for high, medium low and custom under the STL save as options in the surface resolutions category.  Which did you use and what setting did you slide the slider to under normal deviation?  Thanks  

As said before, it are the STL-export settings that you need to adjust. An STL-file only consists of triangles, thus with straight edges. It has no curves. So all curves need to be aproximated by lots of small triangles.

If you would be using DesignSpark Mechanical as CAD-program, set the options for STL-export to "Fine". This will create more polygons and give a smoother shape.

If they would be on "coarse", you would get this sort of crude shapes, due to not enough triangles.

Don't set the export resolution higher than you need. If you set it extremely fine, it causes very huge STL-files with zillions of triangles.

use the IPT plugin from the marketplace and it stays round no adjusting of settings needed