experience with printing in PVC?

MsxBas

Posted · experience with printing in PVC?

Hello all,

I read some articles on the internet that there are some companies making PVC filament. I work for an injection moulder, and we also process PVC for series production. Making 3D prints in real PVC may be extra interesting for our clients.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with PVC filament on an Ultimaker (or maybe on other printers)?

I have never heard of PVC filament?

Wouldn't that give off nasty chlorine fumes when heated? PVC is said to do so when being burned, and 3D-printing temperature is close to burning temperature, usually.

There are actually (at least) two suppliers, as a quick google search for "PVC filament" turns out. One of them tries to sell you a specialized printer for this and sells only big quanitities, the other one seems to just sell the filament. I'd just contact them both about what you want to do.

I don't think many people have tried it here in this forum. You will need proper ventilation of course - but that's likely easy to implement in an industrial setting, so go for it! (And it would be extra nice if you keep us posted with your experiences)

Posted (edited) · experience with printing in PVC?

@geert_2: I intend to melt PVC, not burn it.? I know processing PVC has its difficulties, that is why only few injection moulders dare to process it...

Speaking of which: is there a (detailed) list of what components are made from what material? Especially in/near the extruder?

Processing PVC can cause corrosion easily...

@P3D: I already contacted the supplier in Germany, but I thought maybe someone else here has tried it already.

Thank you both for your replies/ suggestions.

Edited by MsxBas

what are my options for stainless steel nozzles on my Ultimaker 2 extended+ for processing PVC?

Does any M6 threaded stainless steel nozzle work/fit?

for example:

https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/3d-printer-stainless-steel-nozzle.html

https://www.3dxtech.com/e3dv6-compatible-hercules-a2-hardened-steel-nozzle/

I see tips from A2 and 303 stainless steel. Are there any other nozzle options in stainless steel?

I would recommend to check out 3DSolex. @gr5 probably has experience with his stainless steel nozzle?

3 hours ago, MsxBas said:

@geert_2: I intend to melt PVC, not burn it.?@P3D I know processing PVC has its difficulties, that is why only few injection moulders dare to process it...

Yes, but both inside the nozzle and at the bottom outside of the nozzle you will get accumulation of material that will get burned. Also, ABS starts giving off nasty fumes as soon as it melts, long before it burns. So I thought this could be the same with PVC? Burning appears to be a gradual decomposition and oxydation process.

But of course, if you are familiar with PVC production and the risks, don't let this stop you. Feedback would be very welcome on how well it melts, sticking to the glass, layer bonding, toxic smells, side effects,... I wasn't even aware of the corrosion risks.

@SandervG: Thank you, but I cannot find the type of stainless steel used on their website. My guess is that A2 and 303 are enough corrosion resistant, but I know that not all stainless steels are suitable for processing PVC in injection moulding.

@geert_2: Good point: the little material on the outside of the nozzle may have material degradation/corrosion. Fortunately it is normally only a little bit of material.

Does anyone know what metal is used for the fan duct? It is (a bit) magnetic, so it could be stainless? Or is it a zinc plated steel?