New UM3 measurements problems

Gio26

Posted (edited) · New UM3 measurements problems
57 minutes ago, SandervG said:

So it seems you are doing a pretty good job in your X and Y dimensions! Have you also tried to print something else than a cube, perhaps a barrel with a certain diameter? 

Yes I tried a cylinder (20x20). it's smaller than about 0.25 (but this is normal with rays, I think or I always had this difference) and the circumference is not perfect. About 0.13mm of tolerance. But I need to understand better how works cura, I used idea maker with my other printer. The object have z seam I think it is difficult to measure.

57 minutes ago, SandervG said:

So if I understand it correctly, you're happy with X and Y but you want to optimize Z. But you have also printed most of your objects with 200 microns layer hight right? On your post from Sunday you noticed that 0.2 gives a larger offset than 0.1mm. Is this higher resolution a route to go? 

Yes you are right, 0.1 was smaller then 0.1mm. I Just correct this adjusting the print temperatures and flow.

About Z I'm interested in difference from 10 to 100. 

Measurements over 70 have confused me. 

Yes I'm happy ? with x,y and um3! 

There is nothing I can check for get less difference between dimension on my z axis?

Thanks a lot Sanderv.

Edited by Gio26

Posted · New UM3 measurements problems

I know, Gio26, you will do it better, but I think your accuracy is quite fine. You will always have minor deviations when changing the object, material, speed, filament, position of the model on the bed and a lot of more influences. Please do yourself a favor and accept that ? 

When you want to print a specific object which needs very accurate dimensions, then choose your settings and print it slow, very slow. Then measure it and adjust the rest in your CAD software, even if you don't like to do that.

Printing durable objects with an accuracy of 50 microns without adjusting the CAD file 

will not work and you should have fun printing your objects and not a test object after test object.

Trust me ? 

Posted · New UM3 measurements problems

I agree.

I too asked about the finite accuracy at the onset because I wanted to understand what is the acceptable norm without, tweaking Cura’s default parameters and then I asked what parameters I could tweak if I wanted something even more precise. We have learned much over the last few weeks with our appreciation of the consistent prints that the S5 creates being number 1.

I too printed and measured cubes, tubes, and combinations thereof until we had a box of them; LOL. 

It is a plastic and far more susceptible to a multitude of variables that I don’t have to deal with when machining metals; some of which you can control to a degree.

And yet at a moments notice much changes;

1. The weather; more or less humidity

2. Ambient Temperature 

3. The material; even if from Ultimaker and more so; the color.

4. How long it was allowed to cool on the build plate.

5. Was a donor part printed at the same time if printing a single piece so that during the print the layers properly cool before the next one was applied.

6. Was there build plate adhesion; none, brim, raft.

And... the list goes on.

So for me I looked for consistency and then design and print to this as such  during these last few weeks have not had what I would consider; a single failed print with many of them being 3-4 day prints.

As shared: if dimensionally critical I will print a test part to establish a baseline;  this particularly if I will be joining pieces however, the upside for us is because of the larger build area with the S5 many pieces that we used to have to join can now be printed as a single piece.

Lastly; PVA has made our 3D printing a total game changer. The print times are much longer and the per part expense higher however, what we can do with it is “extreme” and the pieces once the PVA is dissolved; phenomenal. No clippers, files, sandpaper, etc.. Having shared this; PVA has nuances and unique character traits that we are beginning to understand better in much the same that we got to understand what to expect from the printer when used in a default mode. We also purchased a roll of the Breakaway material however, have not tried it yet.

in any case,

I encourage you to follow Smithy’s suggestion and “have fun printing your objects and not a test object after test object”.

• Like 1