Blank screen after latest firmware update

Luukwa

Posted · Blank screen after latest firmware update

Hi!

We have a ultimaker original, with a added heatedbed (i think this makes it a + version?) but after the latest firmware update the screen turned blank without any text.

I would like to downgrade the firmware to an older version to see if that makes any difference, but i cannot find it anywhere?

What should we do to get  back into printing?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerly,

Luuk

We did check all the cables, but its not showing anything on the screen, also we're unable to calibrate the device.

It says the printhead is 750 degrees but its cold to the touch.. we also switched the sensor cables around but that does not seem to back a difference..

UMO(+) firmware is indeed included with Cura. The last few years no (significant) changes were made, so you can take any Cura release from Jan-2015 and newer, i.e. v15.01 and newer.

I'm not sure which firmware you need. This was before I joined the company and there have been multiple UMO variants.

You can not brick the printer by uploading new firmware, so give it a try.

An UMO with an added heated bed kit is still an UMO, not an UMO+. I think you have uploaded an UMO+ firmware to your UMO, which probably does not work.

If you add an UMO to Cura, you will be presented with a dialog to select upgrades, where you can select that you have a Heated Bed Kit. Do that and upload a new firmware using that configuration.

Well .. same problem here!

My Ultimaker is quite old .. I have not updated the firmware for a long time. Today I tried Octoprint and noticed that the Temperatures in live view are not updated correctly .. On the serial console I saw that the Ultimaker is always sending 21°C so thought that a firmware update will most likely fix this problem .. yea .. great .. what a marvelous idea :-(

Please take care of users with your early models .. In your early days you have sold us those kits with the DIY Spirit and I think you made good money with us ;-) Maybe selecting the firmware to load in Cura might be a good option.

Update, 5 more Minutes on google have lead me to this page: https://bultimaker.bulles.eu Some Clicks later my Ultimaker was back in action ... at least the display is working again ;-D

br J.

@fjulian79 I can see you are not happy with the firmware update feature in Cura, but I don't understand what your problem is. In Cura you can select your printer model, and when it is an UMO you get the extra options to select installed features like heatable bed present or not. Installing the new firmware should then be a simple press of the button. This should be just as simple as the referred bUltimaker tool.

If the upload features isn't working than it might be you got bitten by a recent Cura change. In old Cura versions the attached printers were always reset on Cura boot. This resulted in Cura aborting an ongoing print. Cura now was made more intelligent by not resetting but communicating with the printer, however when the printer has a broken firmware this fails and uploading new firmware is impossible. A catch-22 situation; we don't want to reset the printer, but without resetting it is impossible to upgrade a bricked printer.

Posted (edited) · Blank screen after latest firmware update
    2 hours ago, CarloK said:

Cura now was made more intelligent by not resetting but communicating with the printer, however when the printer has a broken firmware this fails and uploading new firmware is impossible.

Wut? I see no such change in the code in Cura. Cura still opens every serial port it can find, and the mere fact of opening a port resets the printer. There is no way of communicating with the printer over the USB cable without resetting it.

Edited by ahoeben

Ok, my wrong memory of seeing a ticket being closed.

I checked with the Cura team. What happens:

1 Cura constantly scans all connected USB ports.

2 When it finds a (new) device it sends a gcode for asking the current temperature

3 When a response is returned Cura assumes this to be a printer.

Now, what happens when you have a bricked firmware is that the printer won't respond to the temperature command and Cura doesn't recognize the device as a valid printer.

Step 2 wasn't present in the old v15 Cura, so that's why the older Cura's can still be used to update a bricked printer.

16 minutes ago, CarloK said:

Step 2 wasn't present in the old v15 Cura

Sorry, wrong again.

The legacy Cura would do the same thing especially if you set it to automatically detect the serial port (instead of manually setting the port). The difference is that in the legacy Cura, it was possible to manually specify the serial port to use, and it was possible to upload firmware to a serial port that was not recognisable as a printer. Something that also changed is that the legacy Cura did not try opening the serial port until printing was started, so it would not reset connected printers by merely starting the application.

I'm just repeating what was me told. ?