Custom made front back and sides.

Posted · Custom made front back and sides.

Hiya everyone,

i was was wondering were I could get custom made from side and back for a UM2+.

nit looking for looks I just want to have a significantly taller version of my UM2+.

the aim is to print 900mm tall parts.

many thanks

rebekah 

You'll need more than just the front/back/side plates to make a taller printer. Even if you also add longer rods and leadscrew, you will still run into issues because the original design just was not meant for this height. With a 900mm tall part, the bed will start to cantilever too much, the leadscrew will start to wobble too much.

I can recommend the Z-Unlimited kit from Rooie Joris if you want to print that high (or higher):

http://www.rooiejoris.nl/z-unlimited/

That's an interesting innovation.  I was just starting to wonder what I should do with my UMO.  This might answer that question. 

I tried to figure out how the support arms are configured.  I get that there is yarn strung between the holders on either side, but can't quite see how that is incorporated.  I presume the print is paused, the yarn strung flat, then the print resumes and the yarn is just buried in the filament, but when I see the pictures, it looks like the yarn is under tension downward.  is the whole thing strung like a raquet, then lowered to create that tension before printing resumes?

Thanks!

John

Posted (edited) · Custom made front back and sides.
    1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

I have one. It is pretty complete.

Is that the geared stepper aswell?

i went through the list of what was needed and it was extensive as to what you need to buy to complete it.

Edited by rebekah_harper

5 hours ago, JohnInOttawa said:

I tried to figure out how the support arms are configured.  I get that there is yarn strung between the holders on either side, but can't quite see how that is incorporated.  I presume the print is paused, the yarn strung flat, then the print resumes and the yarn is just buried in the filament, but when I see the pictures, it looks like the yarn is under tension downward. 

There is no pausing involved; you place the string while the printhead is moving. The tension is applied by you while applying the string. The shape of the support arms is such that they are a bit below the top of the print, so the string is normally tensioned down a bit. Because the printer is basically suspended upside down above the print, the print is much more accessible so tensioning the string while printing is a bit less timing-critical than it sounds.

5 hours ago, conny_g said:

Would you share prints you made with it?

I have mainly done some vase-like-objects, with an old nozzle that was worn down to a diameter of about .8mm (from .4 mm) with 0.4mm high layers. That way I can print ~1 meter high objects in approximately 5-6 hours:

@rooiejoris' elephant is a more hardcore print using his mod.

4 hours ago, rebekah_harper said:

Is that the geared stepper aswell?

Yes, everything was included in the kit I purchased, except one or three printed parts which I have found to be somewhat optional.

Also see the instructions for modifying the printer using the kit here: http://www.rooiejoris.nl/instructions/

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Well that’s me in, paid up and now the waiting game ?

just trying to find a UK supplier for Octoprint. ??

OctoPrint is free and open source software. There’s no supplier for it, you download and install it.

Oh ok, in the US they sell full ready to roll setups. 

Will see what I need to do then ?

Posted (edited) · Custom made front back and sides.

Just get a Raspberry Pi, or a starter kit (eg https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-kits-and-bundles/products/raspberry-pi-3b-plus-starter-kit)

Then install OctoPi on it: https://octoprint.org/download/

Note that OctoPrint is not a requirement for using the Z-Unlimited. Once you have done the conversion, you can print as you have always done (it will just take longer and result in awesomer prints)

Edited by ahoeben

Thank you for sharing this information.  This is a really great innovation.  Given how easily UMO works with this system, I can see that printer will be with us for many more years to come, and that is a good thing!!

Cheers

John

2 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Just get a Raspberry Pi, or a starter kit (eg https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-kits-and-bundles/products/raspberry-pi-3b-plus-starter-kit)

Then install OctoPi on it: https://octoprint.org/download/

Note that OctoPrint is not a requirement for using the Z-Unlimited. Once you have done the conversion, you can print as you have always done (it will just take longer and result in awesomer prints)

Hiya,

that I am aware of however I need the portion to monitor the print and some control as I am not going to sit with the printer for 2+ days lol plus pause it if I need to.

cheers for the links ?