Looking for complete guide for changing TFM coupler

Posted (edited) · Looking for complete guide for changing TFM coupler

Looking for complete guide for changing TFM coupler on a UM2+, existing or if someone is willing to make one.

All I can find are old ones for the old printhead.

Had some bad luck with leakage caused by screwing it to loosely and I think I misshaped it a second time by screwing it to tight. When I tried to pull the PTFE coupler out of the steel coupler I had to use a plier and found out that the threaded, thinner, part of the steel coupler is ultra thin ? 

I am using the TFK2K from 3D Solex (PTFE coupler and I2K chip). But since I'm thinking of abandoning printing at temperatures above 260° maybe I'm better of with standard TFM coupler?

Edited by TMicke
Corrected names on things ;)

Posted · Looking for complete guide for changing TFM coupler

I managed to find Ultimakers guide via google;

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/22188-how-to-replace-the-tfm-coupler

I guess I overcomplicated things when I started measuring the depth in the steel coupler to the "ledge" that starts before the threads end, looking down in it from above. Then I measured the length of the part of the TFM coupler that goes into the steel coupler and Houston, we have a problem. I wrongly assumed that it would be sitting tight all the way down against the "ledge".

In my confusion I also wondered how long are you supposed to screw the steel coupler on the heater block.

To make things more complicated I had the 3D Solex TF2K thingy, that  is longer than original TFM coupler making it impossible to use Ultimakers above mentioned guide because you have to unscrew the metal coupler the same length that the TF2K is longer.

Please correct me here if I'm wrong!

What a mess but now it's time for a test run with my baby ❤️ 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @TMicke... 

did you solved it?

I don't know the thickness of this 3D Solex TF2K... I'm using TFM coupler, tested with and without the spring. Gr5 made a spacer if you don't want to keep the spring. I actually doen't know if UM2+ have this spring above steel coupler. My gap between TFM coupler and steel is exactly 2.4mm

Edited by fergazz
    change gap distance from 2.3 to 2.4mm
    • Like 1

this is how my setup is right now

TFMcoupler_GAP.thumb.jpg.d9d9ca9ebdd14adfae88ab21e3a5819c.jpg

and below is the spacer (beige colour) designed by gr5. I printed with PLA Tec that can handle until 120 degrees:

1948633350_TFMcoupler_andspacer.thumb.jpg.55bfcbfd007c34fcd96da1a27c8ddef2.jpg

maybe you can design a similar spacer with the height you want?

Edited by fergazz

oww.. forgot to say.. there is also a video from @LePaul ... like a step-by-step about it. But I don't have sure if he put this Y2K insulator.

Edit: Just checked. There is not a Y2K in that. But it's a UM2+ and I just realize that it doesn't come with a spring... there is a metal part on the top of the TFM coupler

Edited by fergazz
    • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fergazz said:

did you solved it?

Thank you for helping!

I did solve it, I put the original TFM coupler back.

I’m often fascinated that so many shops in so many different areas take for granted that everybody knows how everything is to be used and so forth, maybe it’s tactical, if customers break things they buy more ?

And of course you can always ask the shop your buying from but how hard can it be to write a few lines describing exactly what it is and what it’s for, everone is a beginner at first. 

Looked at the video now, and it’s great, but it makes no mention as to how tight you should tighten the front screws on the print head, there was a space measuring plastic thing that came along with the printer. First when I saw it it made me wonder why you would need to measure the space when everthing looked to be fixed. Then I remembered that at some point the UM2 had a spring on top of the TFM coupler and thought that that’s what it’s for, and have been left in the kit that comes with the printer but is no longer needed. But I put it in there while I was tightening the screws and noticed that you indeed quite easily could over tighten leading to a deformed TFM coupler that in the end makes friction on the filament leading to a possible under extrusion.

Edited by TMicke
    Spell checking

7 hours ago, TMicke said:

I’m often fascinated that so many shops in so many different areas take for granted that everybody knows how everything is to be used and so forth

Yeah, I understand you. And I'm quite far from the stores that sell parts so... if I need a replacement it will take more than a month to came and it will cost 3 times more regarding international fees and shipping. And I'm working full-time with 3d printing so I was scarryed to change those stuffs and I changed a lot of stuffs with the TFM coupler: heater, block and sensor. I took hours and hours to carefully change all the stuffs. 

By the way I seach videos from different sources to change those stuffs: Dream3D ; Anders Olsson ; EurekaTec and others...

but when I needed a closer advise gr5 made an awesome support for me by e-mail... and he is really fast to give a feedback most of the time in less than 30min. All parts I bought from them just the coupler I got from Fbric8 cause his stock was empty. 

15 hours ago, fergazz said:

I'm working full-time with 3d printing

This is interesting, what do you do, who are your customers and where are you from?

Not looking for details of course, just curious.

Hi @TMicke, sure... no problem!

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I have a degree in advertising and journalism an 2 MBAs: in Institutional Marketing and Creation Management.

I started 3d printing in 2014 doing on demand printing service in 3dHubs.

When 3d printing started to get more popular with chinese brands I focused in quality, high resolution and "exotic materials"

and them I started to help guys that was looking for 3d printers so I realize that it should be a service and I implement

consulting service as well. Nowadays I work for brands too implementing 3d print labs (3d printers, PC build and software solution).

I also offer 3d modeling for 3d printing following DfAM (Design for Additive Manufecture). I'm a Autodesk certified designer since 2006

started with 3dMax and a couple of years ago with Fusion360.

Recently I got an DLP/LCD printer from Kudo3D maintaining the idea of high resolution. 

My next step will be open a online store to sell high quality filaments (top quality), acessories and printers. I already started with some small quantities products but it's far from ideal. I'm selling a immobile to invest in a strategic commercial adress, divulge it and get more products and represent some printers brands.

During all this period my country dive into a serious economic crisis and I had to find creative solutions without being able to hire employees, in some cases outsourcing the workforce. But it looks like, in economic terms, things will improve with the new government that will start next year.

By the way this is my website: www.3dsolid.com.br

and this is my online store in Mercado Livre: https://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/_CustId_155239172

Thats inspiring, I wish I had your talent and drive. And I really like your idea to sell quality stuff, nothing pi**es me off more than buying things that you even can’t use, it’s so meaningless, except for the seller of course that makes money...

You should’ve lived in Sweden, there are surprisingly few shops here that deals with 3D printing, at least for personal use. The last couple of years most people I meat have heard of 3D printing but before that most just looked at me like I was from another planet if I talked about it.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Oh, and I looked at your websites, the look really nice, can’t understand a word though ? And I really like your logo! To be honest when I first saw a post from you here I was sure you where one of those that’s been around the forum for ages and had thousands of posts (how do they do that?)

21 hours ago, TMicke said:

Thats inspiring, I wish I had your talent and drive.

Thanks, your words inspire me as well ?

And I really like your idea to sell quality stuff, nothing pi**es me off more than buying things that you even can’t use, it’s so meaningless, except for the seller of course that makes money...

That's true. I started to import filaments because those high quality ones didn't have here... and I thinked to offer for people who want premium quality ones like me.

You should’ve lived in Sweden, there are surprisingly few shops here that deals with 3D printing, at least for personal use. The last couple of years most people I meat have heard of 3D printing but before that most just looked at me like I was from another planet if I talked about it.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Sweden? One of the highest HDI in the world... should be amazing to live there... I learned a little about your country cause I had a neighbohood from Sweden when I lived in Colorado, USA, I worked as a snowboard instructor when I was there. We made some parties and he was always in my house (good memories)... we laugh a lot comparing both countries. Sweeden is Bondtech land! It's one of the products that I think to sell here. 

Edited by fergazz
    I hit enter when I was typing

Oh, and I looked at your websites, the look really nice, can’t understand a word though ? And I really like your logo!

Thank you one more time! I did everything, my logo and website

To be honest when I first saw a post from you here I was sure you where one of those that’s been around the forum for ages and had thousands of posts (how do they do that?)

hahaha.. why? I doesn't have a thousand posts... just getting close to a few hundred ?

I don't know how people have so much posts, I came like twice a week or even more when I open a topic or when I'm following some subject. But I like this forum... it helps me a lot! About 70% of my knowledge came from here... I read much more than post.

Best wishes for you, cheers!

2 hours ago, fergazz said:

I worked as a snowboard instructor

Sorry if I’m beeing prejudiced, but how does one from Brazil learn to snowboard ??

Yeah, I’m very grateful for beeing born in this country, but... well lets just say that there are a lot of things that would surprise you, and it probably have since you lived next door to a swede ?

Can’t make multiple quotes from the iPad...

Why I thought you had thousands of posts is a complement in every way. In short; I think your logo (avatar in this case) looks proper, respectful and “serious”. Take great care of it as it is synonymous with you and your company. There is of course a good reason why company's spend millions of dollars making their logo and that they guard and protect it by any means possible.

Have a great day!

On 10/24/2018 at 12:49 AM, TMicke said:

Sorry if I’m beeing prejudiced, but how does one from Brazil learn to snowboard ??

sounds weird, I agree... 

it's a long history, I'm a pioneer of a sport called mountainboard: It's a snowboard with wheels. 

I bring one of those from London in 1999. Lived in Colorado and after the snowboard period I worked

in MBS mountainboard, one of the brands that developed this sport.  

Are you curious? Take a look at this link (many short videos)... I did a program about it in local TV focused in action sports ?

On 10/24/2018 at 12:49 AM, TMicke said:

Why I thought you had thousands of posts is a complement in every way. In short; I think your logo (avatar in this case) looks proper, respectful and “serious”. Take great care of it as it is synonymous with you and your company. There is of course a good reason why company's spend millions of dollars making their logo and that they guard and protect it by any means possible.

Have a great day!

Thank you for the words...