Layer on top of Triangles don't stick

qiman

Posted (edited) · Layer on top of Triangles don't stick

When printing the bottom layer, it sticks fine to the bed and it prints the triangle layer. When printing the flat layer across the top of the triangles, it prints then curls up quick and doesn't bond to the triangles. Any suggestions? 

I'm using the latest Cura with a CR10S - ABS - filament temp 225 and bed 80. Nozzle is 0.4mm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

layers.jpg

Edited by qiman

Posted · Layer on top of Triangles don't stick

ABS is hard to print and you need heat, a lot of heat. 80C bed temp is also too low for ABS and your main problem is that the CR--10 has no enclosure.

Use PETG or similar material, but not ABS. Or you try to build some enclosure for the printer.

For ABS, you NEED an enclosure because you need to maintain constant temperature through the print for the whole object, else you'll face other problems beyond layers not sticking together, like cracks as the print cool down and such.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I did get some petg and it works pretty good! I like that I can bridge 3 inches with hardly any sag. 

Resolution is not critical for a few of my projects so am using a 0.6mm nozzle. 

The petg is not sticking well to the triangle infill very well. Much better than abs, but not as good as I think it can be. 

I'm using 245 nozzle temp and 75-80 bed temp. Speed can do 100-200 mm/sec for most of it, but I slow it down to 50-80 when it is printing across the top of the triangle infill. Any suggestions on tweaking these settings to help those layers stick better? Attached are a few pics of the petg. 

Also, it gets a bit stringy - is that a retraction setting issue for when it moves from one spot to another without printing? I'm using the simple recommended settings in Cura to select nozzle size and density and have not done the custom settings yet.

Thanks for any help you can give. If I have to build an enclosure to print petg better, I can do it but then I might as well go back to abs since it is much stronger than petg. 

I also ordered polymax - polycarbonate filament that can work at temps similar to petg - will get it early next week. 

20181012_131926.jpg

20181012_013539.jpg