UM3 material override required every time

rebekah_harper

Posted · UM3 material override required every time

Hiya, 

I am wondering why I keep needing to override the material setting. 

on the UM3 I install ABS.  I then set up Cura  slicing with ABS Orange.  I then print over network but I have to go to the online monitor in order to override the material.  when I click on the override it states I need to change the material setting on the printer from ABS to ABS Orange.????? There is no ABS Orange option when loading material so how can I???

this is not using custom material profiles this is using the Ultimaker Profiles. 

Any chance this can be looked at as it's annoying as F. and a major disconnect between Slicer development and Firmware development. 

Many thanks 

Rebekah Anderson

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · UM3 material override required every time

Use the generic ABS profile in Cura and you are fine.

If you choose the UM ABS Orange profile in Cura, the printer wants an ABS orange spool too, but for whatever reason it cannot detect it. So maybe your NFC is not working or the spool you have, has no NFC chip. Third option, NFC is working, spool has NFC chip but will also not detected because the serial number is not correctly added to the firmware. I have a black NFC UM spool which is not detected.

As a general rule, if you have to select the material on the printer manually, use the generic profiles Cura. If your material is autodetected by the printer, then use the UM profiles. There is no difference between generic profiles and UM profiles, so don't worry.

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I understand Rebekah problem, and I've the same:

60% of my filaments are not Ultimaker/NFC enabled, so there's mostly ALWAYS an override to be done... really annoying.

Using generic materials means you cannot use specific and "colored" non-Ultimaker materials, something that is useful for:

1. looking at correct colored parts, especially in dual extrusion

2. my materials database is detailed with specific printing options, cost, etc.

In the end:

--> I need using specific non-ultimaker materials

--> It would be nice having a Cura option (easy to select) to override automatically.

Might you please consider implementing this feature?

As long as you keep the "Material Type" i.e set to "PLA" then this material profile should be accepted as generic material. So when you load the 3rd party material, select PLA at the printer. In Cura add custom profiles for your materials but keep the material type field set to PLA or whatever. It is maybe easier to choose the generic material profile, then click duplicate and then modify the profile to your needs, but again, keep the material type field as is. 

The magic behind that (I hope Um hasn't changed it in the past) is that with the material type field the printer thinks that your custom profile is still a generic PLA (which works internally with GUIDs).

Give it a try, it was working in the past and I think it is still working.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Thanks @Smithy, but I think what we're saying is each job requires a manual override, when really the filament settings should just be sent to the printer as an override when the job is sent. For instance, I preheat filaments in a PrintDryer while I'm printing, even though I use UM filaments. So auto-detection never happens. Not interested in a workaround here as it should just allow me to print when i submit the job. I've already taken care to slice and choose materials, why should I now have to override?  Bizarre. I can see a confirmation dialog reminding me that there is a discrepancy, and allowing me to confirm at that point, but I shouldn't really even have to do that. Cura should do the work here in my view. Many times I've left after printing and it's sitting there for an hour by the time I return and remember/realize I have to do this. Sad.

I'm sure UM can tackle this task in Cura. They are talented folks.

It is already working, but you have to use the generic material in Cura, because you also have the generic material when you load the filament in the printer without NFC auto detection.  Then both materials matches and you don't get any override warning. 

So for example, when you put a spool of UM Nylon in your dry box and load the material into the printer, you choose Nylon from the menu, because you don't use the NFC auto detection. So you printer thinks, you have a generic nylon loaded. In Cura you choose also generic nylon and not the UM nylon profile. Don't worry, both profiles are the same.

Ok cool, at least that gets rid of the need for clicking the button! Thanks I see they will just use all generic settings both on the printer and in Cura. I thought that there might be special settings for UM filament, which may not be the case with generic, hence the distinction of the two. 

Do you know if this is the case?

It's the opposite, the UM material profiles are tuned for UM materials, but the generic ones are just copies of the UM profiles.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:31 PM, Smithy said:

So for example, when you put a spool of UM Nylon in your dry box and load the material into the printer, you choose Nylon from the menu, because you don't use the NFC auto detection. So you printer thinks, you have a generic nylon loaded. In Cura you choose also generic nylon and not the UM nylon profile. Don't worry, both profiles are the same.

When I use my Printdry I just peel off the label/NFC tag and put that on the NFC spool holder. You can use the same one over and over so just write what material type it is and then you don't have to peel off every spool. But you won't be able to track how much material has been used on the spool. (I never checked anyways)

Also a possibility, but for me it is easier to just select the material from the menu.