Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
rebekah_harper

UM3 material override required every time

Hiya, 

I am wondering why I keep needing to override the material setting. 

on the UM3 I install ABS.  I then set up Cura  slicing with ABS Orange.  I then print over network but I have to go to the online monitor in order to override the material.  when I click on the override it states I need to change the material setting on the printer from ABS to ABS Orange.????? There is no ABS Orange option when loading material so how can I???

this is not using custom material profiles this is using the Ultimaker Profiles. 

Any chance this can be looked at as it's annoying as F. and a major disconnect between Slicer development and Firmware development. 

Many thanks 

Rebekah Anderson

Use the generic ABS profile in Cura and you are fine.

If you choose the UM ABS Orange profile in Cura, the printer wants an ABS orange spool too, but for whatever reason it cannot detect it. So maybe your NFC is not working or the spool you have, has no NFC chip. Third option, NFC is working, spool has NFC chip but will also not detected because the serial number is not correctly added to the firmware. I have a black NFC UM spool which is not detected.

As a general rule, if you have to select the material on the printer manually, use the generic profiles Cura. If your material is autodetected by the printer, then use the UM profiles. There is no difference between generic profiles and UM profiles, so don't worry.

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 2