PVA Question

Shadowman

Posted · PVA Question

I am finding that as the PVA roll gets down to the last 30% and less that it is prone to tangling itself on the roll. 

Any suggestions?

The PVA condition is fine; it appears that with the act of retractions literally causes it to bind itself up during a long print.

I am using a S5 and twice during this multi day print it bound up causing the printer to stop; thank goodness for the filament sensor so I was able to untangle it and simply continue the print.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if my problem is the same, but i found that some spools if they have a lot of "tensions" (not sure if that's the right word) will easily get tangled at the last part of the spools. because it unfolds to much on the spool and fillement starts drooping.

I think this is because the spool gets to light, compared to the fillement tension. and my fix was to print a roller for the spool and put some weight on it.

It worked for me, after this i don't have problems whit loss fillement.

0.thumb.jpg.3091743bf64d0e7b6c379f75ecbbd93e.jpg

0-1.thumb.jpg.646889189786739ae6265956c6ebfba7.jpg

I used a piece of Ø 40mm metal rod with a 3D printed sleeve, so it's quite heavy almost 1kg. maybe a bit over kill, but on the ball bearing roller it has no noticeable resistance. and stands firmly in place.

I also had designed something to prevent undesired unwinding near the end, to prevent tangling, and to clamp the end of filament while changing spools. But it was only for colorFabb spools.

It is a sort of small clamp that freely slides around the edge of the spool, and prevents the filament from jumping off sideways. Can be fixed with screws when the spool is in storage.

See here (scroll down a bit):

https://www.uantwerpen.be/nl/personeel/geert-keteleer/manuals/

But I also like both designs suggested above. They didn't exist yet (or I didn't know them) when I made my clamp, otherwise I would have considered one of the above.

Posted · PVA Question

I appreciate this being shared because as I shared above; it happens to me as the PVA gets towards the of the roll.

Thank you 

Posted (edited) · PVA Question

When we wanted to upgrade our ultimaker 2 and (now our 2Go) we had to find a solution to control our roll.

I don't know if our solution could help but we designed a Bobinet in order have a better management of the rolls.

In the dual upgrade, the bad point of this solution is to open the plastic cover of the motherbord  in order to connect the new PVA extruder as you can see on picture. The wire is constraint under the cylinder and after the hole there is a metalic axe in this hole to protect the PMMA. Since this addition we have no more roll issue.

460066984_cura3.0.4.thumb.jpg.467f57d392057af1ea801985c4ea4201.jpg

IMAG5486.thumb.jpg.611dfd956162881e45b5fdbec788849e.jpg1007389976_bobinetandultimaker2.thumb.png.75816f953550f86fb2a9be2ccb0fbb1c.png

IMAG5482.jpg

IMAG1763-2.jpg

Edited by 6maker

Posted · PVA Question

Your filament holder and feeder setup is very nice.

Thank you for sharing it.