Car body print

Metalman54

Posted (edited) · Car body print
1 hour ago, Metalman54 said:

Getting ready to print General Lee body. Does anyone have some pointers?

That would be the most open ended question I think I have ever seen. It would be nice if you actually provided information such as:

1. What printer?
  2. What filament is your choice?
  3. Single or dual extrusion?
  4. What size?
  5. Solid or hollow body?
  6. What slicer are you using?

Otherwise I will put on my "Carnac the Magnificent" hat and say: "Print it well."

Edited by kmanstudios

Ahhhh, ok...anet and abs take me out of the equation. But it will give others a good foundation of what you will require with help ? Sorry I could not be any help with this.

It will definitely need support though with the model you describe though.

Just to get a base line, try the defaults with support and temps and such. Give it a whirl. Nothing like diving into the deep end of the pool. ?

Edited by kmanstudios

Posted · Car body print
    1 hour ago, Metalman54 said:

Anet A8, ABS

Have you printed ABS successfully with your Anet A8?

Do you have an enclosure for the printer? If not you will get warping with ABS and your print will fail. As a beginner it would be much better to start with normal PLA material.

• Like 1

Posted · Car body print
    8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

As a beginner it would be much better to start with normal PLA material.

That is actually a great suggestion.

Posted · Car body print

Anet A8, ABS, single extruder,hollow body about 8” long. Using Cura. Don’t know how to handle support to print this. But figure if I don’t have support it will not print right. I’m a beginner. 

Ok sorry. I am using PLA. MY MISTAKE. 

Posted · Car body print
    2 minutes ago, Metalman54 said:

Don’t know how to handle support to print this.

Have you looked at cura?

There is a place on the right hand side that says support. Click on it to generate support.

Posted · Car body print

Ok. I clicked support. I will try a print.

Posted · Car body print

Great! - good luck....

Posted · Car body print

I just uploaded the stl of the model. In Cura first I scale it down to 30%. I get a little over 2Hr print time but I don't really see

were it added support for the print. Can anybody show me a screen shot of what it should look like?

Body.stl

Posted · Car body print

Did you look in the layer view?

Posted · Car body print

I just checked and now I can see support. My next question is how do you guys cut this support out? Exacto knife.

Posted · Car body print

Depending on how strong the bond ends up being, you can usually pull it off with pliers and clipping on the thin parts. The final cleanup with a blade,

Posted · Car body print

Started the print and it’s just printing the support. 

Posted · Car body print

Support warped up and it crashed. Back to the drawing board. 

Posted · Car body print

You are on a printer unfamiliar to me, so I cannot help there...sorry. ?

Metalman54,

I looked at the STL you uploaded, and it is not "watertight", in fact Cura gives a warning about that when you load the file.  So....you will either need to find another General Lee model that has already been made watertight so that it will print properly, or you will need to learn how to do that yourself--with another piece of software--before you can print it.

I would suggest that you should start with some simpler models to get the hang of printing first. Try some that don't need support and that are smaller so you can print them quickly and play around with the settings in Cura.  Look on Thingiverse or YouMagine for example. It looks like your printer does not have a heated bed, so you should consider using blue painter's tape on the bed so the print will stick well.

Edited by rowiac

Posted · Car body print

If it only prints the supports, but not the car body, it could be that the body is too thin (smaller than the nozzle diameter), or the body-part of the file is defective or corrupted. In my old version of Cura, most of your model appears to be just a single surface layer (thus infinitely thin) instead of a solid 3D-object. And it has lots of other defects too. Maybe this model was designed for a game, or for a visual rendering only, but not for 3D-printing? 3D-printing needs solid volumes for all parts, not surfaces.

If you are not yet familiar with 3D-printing, and as said by the others before, I would recommend printing small simple test models first, until you know your printer, and the limitations of the concept. Carefully inspect the model in Cura, in "layer view" and "xray view" modes, before printing.

For example, print a simple test model like this with and without supports. So you see what the effect is. This model also shows what lack of cooling does in the tiny cones on top.

overhangtest3d2.thumb.jpg.cce0c68dd80397238dbedab94ea364c7.jpg

overhangtest3d.stl

overhangtest3d_defective.stl

In the defective version of this file I deliberately removed a couple of side panels, so the model is no longer a solid (except for the base plate), but only consists of surfaces. You could load them both in Cura and see how they differ and how they would print.

• Like 1

Posted · Car body print

Wow I,m 64 and raising a 13 year old. 3 years ago I built a 3d printer from 2 DVD drives X axis and Y axis. Z axis I used a 3.5 floppy drive.

This summer I bought a Anet A8 and watched my 13 year old grandson as he did the build. Now I know to use Solidworks to make this 

model water tight. This is a awesome community. Thanks to all that chimed in and pushed me in the right direction. 

Regards

Dan Welch

Posted · Car body print
    14 minutes ago, Metalman54 said:

I built a 3d printer from 2 DVD drives X axis and Y axis. Z axis I used a 3.5 floppy drive.

Sounds crazy but I like such things ? And was it working at the end? 

Posted · Car body print

It was called eWASTE you can look it up. It took a lot of fiddling around to get a good print. Real good for learning but not for printing.

I attached a photo from the internet. Ours was built with wood not Plexiglas. spent about $90 to build.

untitled5.png

Posted · Car body print

Cool, and as you say, good for learning how things play together.

Posted · Car body print

Again thanks for all your help.