ChangeAtZ5.1.1 slowing down the print

RockNLol

Posted · ChangeAtZ5.1.1 slowing down the print

hi!

I sliced a large 3D-Model of a Building in Cura, and used the ChangeAtZ5.1.1 Post processing plugin (experimental, i know...) to slow down specific layers.

I set "Trigger" to "Layer No.", entered the Layer, changed "Behaviour" to "Single Layer" and then "change print speed" to 50% and repeated this for 11 specific layers. First it seemed to be ok, but now 5:30h into the print it slows down so much, that it is almost at a standstill. It seems to not accelerate back to 100% after the Single Layer as intended. I tried to compensate by turning the speed on the printer up, but that is limited to 999%, and even that is now about 10mm/s. At this rate this 8h print will probably take a few days to finish.

a) is there a way to revert the speed back to normal without aborting the print?

b) did I use the plugin wrong?

hope you can help me,

cheers

R'N'L

If you change the print speed the script changes all print speeds in the gcode from that point on. So if you use the script once, print speeds after the trigger layer are effectively reduced to 50%. If you use it again, it will depend on the output of the first usage and reduce the print speeds again by 50% (so 25% now compared to the original value).

If you want to change up and down, you have to implement a 50% change and then a 200% change for print speed.

5 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

with other words: "Behaviour" = "Single Layer" doesn't work like one would assume?

exactly.

I managed to get the speed back up by typing M205 S60 into octoprints console. I won't use this Plugin anymore, simply pasting M205 S30 for example directly into the gcode of the specific layers and M205 S60 in the next one is probably safer.

Seems to me it works better than you thought; to change a group of 11 layers you do not need 11 statements; just one to halve it at the start and one to double it at the end. Lol does not get much easier surely.

I once hit this issue before, while my UM2+E was set to run in MARLIN instead of ulticode.

The plugin inserted the recovery instruction as "M220 S-1".

However, the UM2.1 firmware doesn't work correctly to handle the negative value so it turned out to be extremely slow.