Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
LePaul

3.6 Beta - Arrange Models broken

I went into "Open File", selected two small STLs (bottom and top of a Raspberry Pi case) expecting both to appear on the buildplate

One was not on the build plate

Right click and Arrange All Models and it still won't place them on the bed

I tried again, making sure (Ctrl A) all models selected and "Arrange All Models"  Same problem and error

I wound up manually placing them on the bed, but wanted you to be aware of the behavior.

image.thumb.png.0436db5589034b91d2683eb2662e749b.png

The arranger is a bit naive. It places the largest object in the middle and tries to fit all other models around it. This is a decent strategy if there are objects with multiple sizes, but as you can see, it fails if both objects are a bit larger than 30% of the buildplate in either direction.

15 hours ago, nallath said:

The arranger is a bit naive. It places the largest object in the middle and tries to fit all other models around it. This is a decent strategy if there are objects with multiple sizes, but as you can see, it fails if both objects are a bit larger than 30% of the buildplate in either direction.

Is it planned to make it less naive?

• Like 1

Even though an issue seems obvious, it doesn't mean that the solution is easy by any means. Properly fixing this is months of work (because then you'd also take rotation into account). If you want to get it really right, it's easily 6-9 months of work research-wise (hence, me wanting to get a master thesis student for it).

There is a reason we didn't fix it in the first place (which I thought was rather obvious from me stating that it's naive instead of confirming that it's indeed a bug as originally claimed)

Edited by nallath

Well I don't think the average end user needs to know all about the intern stuff or what's involved in fixing it.

I was just pointing out that it's not working and would prefer you treat a customer as one.  I bought a printer and countless filaments, upgrade components and so on.  Your response, intentional or not, comes off as rude.

(I think you guys are really loosing touch with your customers.  There used to be some respect and simple acknowledgement of an issue.  Now you offer a bunch of internal excuses why something won't be resolved.)

I guess I'd prefer you just acknowledge the issue and tell us a fix is coming in a future release.

I don't really see how my first response is in any way rude. It provides a reason why in this case the solution fails. It doesn't ignore your claim, nor does it write it off as invalid.

I do see how my third response can be seen as rude. I intended it to be a bit snarky, since your response to an honest attempt to explain why it was doing it was "Oh, so you don't even fix simple things anymore". I hope you can understand that that comment in and on itself is rude (and a bit shortsighted). Was that the best way to respond for me? Probably not. But I don't feel that my response was that out of line.

I'm not customer support and I don't care to be one. I will answer technical questions as I would like to be treated when I am a customer. This means that I won't sugar-coat it, I won't give vague promises as "I'm sorry that this happened, we will look at it as soon as possible". Instead, I explain what is going on, why it is like that and (in this case) why it hasn't been solved. I don't feel that this is something that has changed. It's the exact same kind of response that I've given countless times in the past.

You, like it or not, are one of many public faces of Ultimaker and whether you consider yourself Customer Support or not, you represent the company.  Thus, when you make "snarky" responses, it reflects on your team and company.

When you ask the community for feedback on beta versions and respond in this way, then defend it...it's disappointing.