First layers warping

ntjmmola

Posted (edited) · First layers warping

Hi, 

I'm using an Ultimaker 2+ with white ultimaker PLA, and trying to print a simple block shape. We've been having all sorts of issues with our printer, and all of them the same: warping and poor adhesion.

We were using a brim adhesion layer, and it kept curling up and warping almost straight away. I went to the sticky post in this forum, and tried all kinds of variables: Hair Spray, Mounting Spray, Double Sided Tape, Salt Water Technique, etc. Industrial double sided sticky tape worked well, but was a mess and a nightmare to clean and stick down properly. Most recently we tried pritt stick, which wasn't bad, but still caused warping. 

To stop the adhesion plate from warping, I moved from a brim layer to a raft layer - which itself prints perfectly. The problem then is that the initial layer of the print on top of the raft warps. See the attached pictures. Most recently I've tried printing with no adhesion layer, and it still warps. My buildplate temp is 60C and my Nozzle temp is 210C. These are the settings I found to be optimum from looking at manufacturers recommendations, and reading this site. I also calibrated the the bed three different times - each with a different paper thickness (0.15, .7, .1mm). 

Any ideas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I'm going round in circles. 

Thanks. 

Issue_1.jpg

Issue_2.jpg

Issue_3.jpg

Issue_4.jpg

Settings1.JPG

Settings2.JPG

Edited by ntjmmola

Posted · First layers warping

What I see in your photos I've seen before.  It can be caused because the head is too far from the glass (the glass can be tilted such that one corner is higher) or it could be oil on the glass or a combination of head too far plus other factors.

You shouldn't have any problems at all with this kind of thing.  Here is a video that explains how to make your filament stick like hell to the glass.  It's a long video but it is packed full of valuable information, insight and *why* you have to do what I recommend: