One or two extruders

mark-hale

Posted · One or two extruders

Hi

Very new to this and currently looking at 3D printers. I think I have just about settled on the Ulitmaker but spotted the dual extruder options.

Is this something that is worth going for at the start or leaving until I get more into the printing.

With a dual extruder can you mix PLA on one item or is it mainly to save switching colours for other projects?

Does anyone know if its possible to get the assembled unit with dual extruders

Cheers in advance

Mark

If you are just about to start printing (with an Ultimaker) i would recommend to start with single extrusion first.

It is a fun process to get to know the machine and learn how to use it, but it is a process.

My recommendation is that it is easier to learn printing with 1 extruder, and get familiar with Cura.

Because dual extrusion is still experimental it requires some tweaking, so get familiar with the basic set up first, then enhance your set up with dual extrusion.

At the moment support material is not yet supported by Cura, but dual colors is.

You can use it for anyway you please, but it would serve its cause if it involved 2 colors ;-)

I agree with Sander. Learning to use one extruder is a bit of a learning curve. To add another would mean a lot of tweaking and that would be difficult for a new user. Dual extrusion allows for two colors in one print or one color per print.

If I were you, I would wait until Ultimaker and the community work out all of the bugs. By then, you will be very familiar with your machine. Hope this helps. :grin:

If I were you, I would wait until Ultimaker and the community work out all of the bugs

Yes! And there are a lot of them! For example, someone just broke his second nozzle on the leveling screws. It will probably be months before a solution for that is "idiot proof". And the guy wasn't an idiot - the point is Daid is probably hesitant to change the code that caused this problem as there are likely more serious features to add to cura right now. But maybe within another 3 to 6 months most of the bugs will be worked out.

Another solution is to change the leveling screws to be inset into the bed. But this seems unlikely to happen soon. Another solution is to reduce the print volume to 195mm but being able to print to 205mm is a big part of the marketing for the UM. A lot of consumers care if it can print 195mm versus 205mm.

A solution in his case could have been, make the printbed 1cm smaller.

We did not realize this, but we will set it straight with him.

If, like you say, people care about the 205, then they should be careful (avoid) the first run wizard in combination with dual extrusion. Besides that, there is nothing Daid can do (in Cura), because by adding a 2nd nozzle, this takes up space. Nothing you can do about that.

There are bugs in the dual extrusion pack though, it has been labeled experimental for a reason.

The leveling wizard doesn't need to go all the way out to 200 or 205cm to test leveling. It could just go out to 195mm. Or it could look at the preferences setting and if the user checked dual extruders it could do 195 and whatever it does now if they *don't* check that in cura preferences. So there's two very simple possible changes to cura.

thank you all for your replies, OK makes sense, the last thing I want is a bad experience which results in the printer gathering dust.

Mark,

I just made the purchase Friday, but I bought the second extruder to be added at a later date (as SandervG advised)

I was going to be lazy and buy the pre-assembled version but after reading about al the tweaks...I think it would be more educational to learn how the printer works. Plus, at some point, I will need to take it apart and doing the second extruder setup!

So I completely understand where you are coming from :-P