Post processing not printing

jmcc

Posted (edited) · Post processing not printing

Printer Anet A6 with Marlin v1.1.8 firmware

Cura version 3.6.0

I'm trying to get post processing of generated g-code working & having a problem. I made a variation of the pause at height script to beep when pausing with a variable duration beep to get my attention. It seems to work fine in that I can load it in Cura & change the beep duration (Extensions-> Post Processing -> Modify G-Code). If I hit prepare and save to file, it makes the expected mods to the g-code. However if I print to usb, it prints with no post-processing applied 99% of the time. I got it to work once after renaming my stl file & loading that. Never was able to replicate this success though.

Just to avoid the possibility of my coding being at fault, I removed that from the post processing script list and instead put in the search & replace post processing script that came as standard with Cura (searching for ;LAYER: and replacing that with M117 Printing #). This should output each layer number on the display as the print progresses. Again no luck when I apply this. I see it in the generated g-code, but it does not output to the display when printing layers.

I've not yet tried to save to SD & print from that as its hard to get at the SD slot where my printer is setup.

I'd be grateful for any help on this, its driving me nuts.

Thanks.

PS. Maybe should be a separate question, but should the simulator be able to run g-code thats going to be sent to the printer? It does not seem to output the printer's start g-code from the machine settings. It would be handy if there was an option to have it show exactly what the printer would get. Takes forever to debug this stuff with heating time etc.... 

Edited by jmcc
clarification

Posted · Post processing not printing

I just loaded the saved g-code which included my pause into Cura. During the programmed pause, the extruder is supposed to park at x=190, y=190. If I enable show travels in the simulator, it does indeed show the path of the head going to this position at the specified layer. It does not show this if I prepare from the model and simulete that.

jmcc

So I have a work around for this problem:

1. Load stl & slice with the post processing enabled.

2. Save g-code to file.

3. Clear print bed & load the previously saved g-code. (If you have layer view switched on with show travels ticked, you'll see the tool paths to verify)

4. Print g-code to USB.

It works, but is not so convenient. If someone knows a better way, that would be great.

jmcc

There currently is no better way

Postprocessing scripts are executed right before saving/printing, not right after slicing. On top of that, for performance reasons, layerview gets specially crafted data from the slicer so it does not have to parse gcode after slicing. That data would not get postprocessed. So there are two hurdles here.

Posted (edited) · Post processing not printing

I get what you are saying re the viewer. However my issue started with post processed g-code not being sent to the printer. Has anyone else had this particular problem?

The work around is terribly clumsy. I've also noticed that when you load g-code in layer view, you can't see the layer number change as you play the viewer. This works as expected when you slice an stl model.

I'd like to report these issues as bugs, but was interested to see if anyone else have the same problems or perhaps could replicate the behaviour described before doing so.

Thanks for the reply,

jmcc

Edited by jmcc
    Spelling!

Jmmc! My problem is same . If you found any solution, please notify me! Thanks

Unfortunately I all I found was the work around I described before. It works OK but is awkward to to.

I have the same problem. Cura 3.6 and Tevo Tornado. I figured it out, but I thought I couldn't be the only one, and found jmcc's post.

Printing directly via USB will not have post processing scripts executed.

Printing G-Code to File; Load G-Code in Cura; Printing via USB works.