Z offset plugin not working with S5

V3DPrinting

Posted · Z offset plugin not working with S5

Hi to all

I have created a print job under Cura 3,6 using a Z Offset (with the plugin) to be printed on Ultimaker S5.

The idea is to avoid squeeching the first layer on the build plate when printing with PETG and destroy the glass plate. I'm got the problem on UM3.

There is a major improvement with the new bed leveling process on S5, but still first layer is a bit thin when hotend and build plate are hot.

I set up the Offset to 0,1mm first. As a result, the first layer was printed in the air, 10 mm above the buildplate

I then set up the offset to 0,01mm, same result

I'm running the S5 with latest firmware : 5.1.7

I believe it's a bug in the firmware, not in Cura, as it worked before on UM3.d

IMG_3056.jpg

I'm the creator of the Z Offset plugin. I'll admit I have never tested the plugin with an S5 (or an UM3 for that matter). Could you try saving the gcode to a file, and inspect the first move on the first layer?

18 hours ago, ahoeben said:

I'm the creator of the Z Offset plugin. I'll admit I have never tested the plugin with an S5 (or an UM3 for that matter). Could you try saving the gcode to a file, and inspect the first move on the first layer?

The code generated is attached. First move is 0,37 (0,27 first layer height + 0,1 z offset). so it's correct.

But there is a G92 just after resetting the origin to 0.27.

I believe this one is not properly interpreted by the firmware.

UMS5_battery_en_long.gcode

1 minute ago, V3DPrinting said:

But there is a G92 just after resetting the origin to 0.27.

That's what the Z Offset plugin is supposed to do. It makes it so that all the subsequent layers are also offset.

Someone from the UM S5 firmware team is going to have to chime in why G92 does not work as expected on an S5.

32 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

That's what the Z Offset plugin is supposed to do. It makes it so that all the subsequent layers are also offset.

Someone from the UM S5 firmware team is going to have to chime in why G92 does not work as expected on an S5.

Agreed. Your plugin is correct. The issue is on the firmware.

I haven't retested the plugin on the UM3, as they are busy, but when I used it, it worked.

So I presume the issue is only on the S5 firmware for now.

4 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Just a rough guess - does it work (or at least: behaves different), if you add M400 right before the G92 command?

Modified file:

UMS5_battery_en_long.gcode

• Like 1

I only got the story in second handed (I'm not in the firmware team anymore for quite some time now) but the G92 not working has to do with the bed leveling.

45 minutes ago, nallath said:

I only got the story in second handed (I'm not in the firmware team anymore for quite some time now) but the G92 not working has to do with the bed leveling.

The reason why I wanted some Z offset is because, even if the leveling has improved a bit, the first layer is too thought.

I use also a mesh bed leveling on a Duet3d powered printer for more than a year, and I like the ability of baby stepping. It helps fine tune the first layer specially with materials that require high temp nozzle and bed.

It would be good to have the G92 working in the next release and the baby stepping in the near future.

But please don’t mess up the UM3 firmware when retrofitting the S5 improvements. 

21 hours ago, V3DPrinting said:

The reason why I wanted some Z offset is because, even if the leveling has improved a bit, the first layer is too thought.

Too tight....

For the past 5 years I have had a z-offset command in my printer definition start gcode section. Just wondering why one would write a plugin to replace a single line of code - or does it have some extra goodies :)

The plugin adds a setting to the sidebar, which can be added to profiles and such. Also you don’t have to go into Machine Settings to change it.