Why is Cura so slow and un-responding?

3dwim

Posted · Why is Cura so slow and un-responding?

I experience the Cura host software as very slow in doing anything and very un-responding. My gut-feeling recognizes this as a sort of time-out for some (repetitive) action or similar. As I don't have ny machine connected directly (transfering a file via an USB-stick is OK for me so I physically seperated slicing from printing, no network in between), This behaviour of Cura is very annoying. I looked through the preference settings but I didn't find some seeting like that.

Is this proper behaviour or is something wrong in the set-up?

16 hours ago, 3dwim said:

Is this proper behaviour or is something wrong in the set-up?

Hard to tell without further information about your set-up. What OS (version), what GPU, how much RAM, harddisk or SSD etc.

There are reports of Cura being unreasonably slow on some OS X systems, but sofar this has not yet been reproduced at UM making this hard to fix.

That being said; I've been able to introduce a bunch of optimizations that should make the GUI dramatically faster. I expect that these will improve things for all operating systems. So please wait a bit until the 4.0 beta is out (and test that so we know how much it helped!)

Nice. I'm using a ThinkPad W520 with Windows 10 (8GB and SSD) and more often than not I'm starting Cura twice because after the first start nothing happens. Slicing is very slow, so the "Pause" button was very welcome. I think, slicing Nefertiti would take 1 hour...

If all goes well, next week.

• Like 1

Christmas present 🙂 

Because I don't have that much jobs to do, but quality is more of a concern, I normally transfer my file using a USB device and print from that. Big advantage is also keeping multiple versions of the thing in parallel. As I had to do multiple things now, I connected a switch and told Cura to print over the network. After 15 minutes (!) it was still transfering the print-file (241 KB) :-) Activity Monitor tells me Cura is eating a large amount of CP{U time...

Well, the actual sending of the data is done by a framework that we use (Qt), so I doubt that the slowness of the sending of prints is caused by software on the Cura side.