S5 bed leveling issue

aheu

Posted · S5 bed leveling issue

Automatic bed leveling failed: Difference between detected height of both print cores exceeds realistics values.

I did a manual bed leveling procedure, but got the same error message. Can anybody help me?

Posted (edited) · S5 bed leveling issue

Of course, I have read the recommendations in the artikel regarding the similar topic for the UM3. I adjusted the leveling screws, I did several manual bed leveling procedures, a firmware update, but unfortunately nothing changed. Perhaps it is a UM S5 specific issue...

Edited by aheu

There are many causes for this issue.  For me personally, both times it happened, it was because first one, then a few months later the other wire inside the head broke.  Swing open the front door and look inside the head (pull the head to the front of the printer so you can get close).  Inside there is a metal plate painted white.  This is the capacitivie sensor.  There should be a small red and white wire.  Give them a gentle tug.  On my printer they came loose.  I soldered them back on and all was good.

Other possibilities: this sensor is extremely sensitive to electrical noise.  So stay a meter away while leveling is happening.  Keep laptops and cell phones and other EM transmitters at least a meter away as a test.

Make sure nozzle tips are clean and bed is clean.

Watch the leveling.  If it stops before the nozzle hits the glass it's probably noise.  If it hits the glass and keeps going and going and going then it could be the loose wire thing or the spring in the core is too soft and the core goes up instead of the bed getting pushed down.  Normally it should just barely kiss the bed and immediately jump away from the glass.

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

Keep laptops and cell phones and other EM transmitters at least a meter away as a test.

Really? is it that sensitive? my laptop is usually right next to the s5 when i kick it off, i guess im lucky there. But unlucky with the out of print area message. But i think that is to do with scaling my models up 5000% from zbrush. the cura does not like moving these scaled up objects one bit!

as for levelling I've not had any issues maybe one?, I usually carefully scrape the sides of the nozzle with a scalpel edge. seems to keep it clean. Also make sure the plate is clean from the last levelling if there is any left over tiny little dots, as it goes over the same spots each time think? It would be good if they say randomised it a few cm. I hope i never have to solder anything!

Finally I identified my issue. The small red and white wire were loose.  I asked a friend to soldered them back on and now everything is fine. 

Thank you all for you recommendations!

Thanks for the feedback @aheu