No top layers

Framar

Posted · No top layers

Hi all,

I ran into a situation that I still not understand. I have a model: drawer divider that has 1,6mm wall. I want to print this part with a Ø0,8mm print core. If you look at the first picture on the left, you can notice that there is no top layers, just one Inside and oune outiside wall.

If I do add some infill, then I get top layers; see picture on the right...

What is the relation between infill and top layers??? I don't get it.

image.thumb.png.99c24827cc4a8494babc07fc0c5cf0e3.pngimage.thumb.png.809a9a41d195954d6ab5acdbda6edf3f.png

Posted · No top layers

What is your line width in Cura? I guess it is not 0.8, but it is 0.75mm because Cura uses 7/8 of the nozzle size for the line width per default. So your wall has to be 1.5mm to achieve that what you expect.

Try to change the line width to 0.8, should not make any difference and try it again.

Posted · No top layers

Hi Smithy,

Well, I did try different line width and the result is the same: no top layers. That was until I turn on the infill, then I got what I wanted... But why the infill is iportant to get top layers ???

Posted · No top layers

Similar issue with CURA 4(Beta)

Posted · No top layers
    1 hour ago, Peirof said:

Similar issue with CURA 4(Beta)

Please provide a project file that shows the issue, otherwise there is no way we can help you!

Posted · No top layers

Here the STL file in Question

tir7.stl

and the setting used

image.png.2398acc286622753f02a3346ba079b42.png

image.png.dc7baabc0c410fb41cb181fe1e27ce38.png

image.png.6a2bb60f8ff967c5a22da1e1fb02158c.png

And Here is the result:side walls have no top layers

image.thumb.png.6ea7d1863d95da7b63e1b5624831b6a3.png

Posted · No top layers

Hello @Framar, I'm unsure as to what's happening there but perhaps when you set the infill to 0% it disables the fill gaps between walls feature as well as the regular infill? Those top layers you are referring to are generated by the fill gaps between walls feature and are not regular skin.

Incidentally, my Cura releases have a new implementation of the wall gap filling which appears to do a nice job with that model. If you want to try it out you can find the releases at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0

They can be installed alongside the Ultimaker releases without affecting them.

Screenshot_2018-12-21_23-37-32.thumb.png.b45e41a77b11f8eba798fc52916a36df.png