Switch extruder at a specified layer

mcdavidr

Posted · Switch extruder at a specified layer

I am trying to print a two colored medallion and need to switch colors at a specific layer. I tried using one extruder and the change filament plugin. It sorta worked, only issue was when I hit resume it started extruding above the print. Since my UM3 has two extruders, is there a way to get Cura to switch extruders at a specified layer.

Normally you have to design your object in two parts. Then you import every part into Cura and select which extruder should print the selected part. Then you merge both objects together and they automatically move to the original position they had in your CAD software, to get again one combined object in Cura, but with different settings (extruder).

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Switch extruder at a specified layer

obviously @Smithy's solution is the safest, but I see no reason why you can't just set the toolchange manually in the Gcode file. If you want to look at the way the UM3 handles the gcode just slice a tiny dual print (stack two smal cubes) and look at the gcode around the layer where the change occurs (use f.e. Notepad++ to change the gcode files). Look at codes like T0, T1 (set active nozzle) and M104, M109 (set temperature)

edit: save to / print from USB if you manually alter the Gcode

And read here for more on the UM3 Gcode;

Edited by ultiarjan
    added remark

Thanks for the advice. I finally split the model using Netfabb. It took a while to figure out the method, but it seems to work. Truthfully I am not yet comfortable with editing g-code.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:20 PM, bjorn said:

Found out how this can be done!

I made a quick video to show the process:

Found the solution in this topic.

That works well. It's kinda ridiculous how that is hidden within another functionality but it works.

Any update on a simpler method of doing this? Using the cutting mesh proves very difficult with Hueforge when combined with a dual extrusion system. I'm looking for a solution that allows me to use a prime tower and simultaneously lets me add a post process "swap to extruder 2 at layer 3" effect. 

I've found that it  is extremely meticulous creating 5+ cutting meshes for a 2mm high 3d print. It didn't even properly switch over after spending quite some tike setting it up. I've used Cura for my entire 3d printing journey, but it seems ill equipped to handle these prints in the manner I'm going about it.

I can manually add the M109 T1 S200; T1; M104 T0 S175; for simple prints with no prime tower. Without a prime tower though, it fails half the time. Adding a prime tower or additional mesh that is printed with the inactive extruder to keep it primed seems to prevent me from manually entering the extruder swaps as the additional mesh/prime tower will nullify my changes as soon as it switches to the prime tower/additional mesh.

If anyone can recommend a method or different slicer that's better equipped to handle dual extruder hueforge prints(using a SnapMaker dual extruder), that would be fantastic. Happy making!!