Overriding Start G-Code (CURA 4.0.0)

NoviceExpert

Posted · Overriding Start G-Code (CURA 4.0.0)

I have been using the old 15.04.6 version of Cura for a long time. I have been advised to upgrade to the beta to check out the new features and so far am impressed with the 4.0.0 beta. However, I like my bed and extruder to heat up at the same time and these added lines of G-Code prevent that when I slice.

M140 S{print_bed_temperature}
M105
M190 S{print_bed_temperature}
M104 S{print_temperature}
M105
M109 S{print_temperature}
M82 ;absolute extrusion mode

Where do these lines get added, because I used to be able to heat both at the same time with 15.04.6 with the following code.

M107; FANS OFF
M140 S{print_bed_temperature}
M104 S{print_temperature}
G91; RELATIVE POSITIONING
G28; HOME ALL AXIS
M84; KILL MOTORS
M109 S{print_temperature}
G90; ABOSOLUTE POSITIONING
G1 X5 Y5 F10000; MOVE CLOSE TO HOME
G28; HOME ALL AXIS
G29; PROBE BED
M190 S{print_bed_temperature}
G1 Z100; RAISE Z-AXIS TO 100MM
G1 X0 F1000; MOVE SLOW TO HOME
G92 E0; ZERO EXTRUDER
G1 E10; PRIME NOZZLE
M25; WAIT FOR USER
G92 E0; ZERO EXTRUDER
G1 F{travel_speed}; START
M140 S60
G92 E0

I don't want to have to remove the lines everytime I slice a print, can these lines be edited or taken out of start G-Code somewhere?

Basically it should be possible to use the same start script as before, but the names of the settings / replacement patterns have changed.

You will probably need:

{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}

{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

{speed_travel_layer_0}

If you're interested:

@ahoeben compiled a list of all possible variables a while ago: Settings and replacement patterns

• 1 year later...
    On 1/5/2019 at 4:23 PM, tinkergnome said:

Basically it should be possible to use the same start script as before, but the names of the settings / replacement patterns have changed.

You will probably need:

{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}

{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

{speed_travel_layer_0}

If you're interested:

@ahoeben compiled a list of all possible variables a while ago: Settings and replacement patterns

Is it possible to do math in the {} ?   I notice there is width and depth of the print area, but that would be much more useful if I could somehow reference the center of the bed {machine_width/2} or {machine_depth/2}....  or if they would just add a reference for the {machine_width_center} {machine_depth_center}

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm trying to get rid of the M190 and M109 to avoid waiting for the bed and hotend to heatup. 

I tried modifying the JSON (fdmprinter.def.json) like:

#: fdmprinter.def.json
    msgctxt "material_bed_temp_wait label": { "default": false },
    msgid "Wait for Build Plate Heatup"
    msgstr ""

msgctxt "material_bed_temp_wait description": { "default": false },
    msgid ""
    "Whether to insert a command to wait until the build plate temperature is "
    "reached at the start."
    msgstr ""

msgctxt "material_print_temp_wait label": { "default": false },
    msgid "Wait for Nozzle Heatup"
    msgstr ""

msgctxt "material_print_temp_wait description": { "default": false },
    msgid "Whether to wait until the nozzle temperature is reached at the start."
    msgstr ""

And the JSON from my specific printer (robo_3d_r1.def.json) like:

"overrides": {
            "machine_start_gcode": {
                "default_value": " G92 E0 ;\n M565 Z-1 ;\n G1 Z5 F5000 ;\n G29 ;\n"
            },
        "material_print_temp_wait": { "default": false },

But I'm still getting the waiting codes after slicing. Any ideas on what else could I do?

You could use the post-processing plugin "Search and Replace" and search for "M109" and replace with ";M109".  That should comment all M109's in the file.  Use a second search and replace for the M190 line.

You may be aware that the M109 line is a safety to keep from running extrusion commands while the hot end is cold.

• Like 1