Tolerance Test

Framar

Posted · Tolerance Test

Hi Ultimaker Community, 

I got a new UltimakerS5 a few weeks a go and while it is printing great I was a bit disapointed; I was expecting very precise dimensional prints... 

I have listened to so many Youtube videos and found one on MakerMuse channel very interesting where Angus showed a tolerance/gap test. I just print my own tolerance test. I was expecting getting good results up to 0,2mm. Unfortunately, only the 0,5mm succeed (0,4mm & 0,3mm failed).

Is there any one that can print the gap test and share their results?

I was using Ultimaker Blue PLA filament at 0,15mm layer height and 20% infill  using the "recommended" settings in Cura 3.6.0.

Attached is the STL and 3D STEP files.

ThanksTolerance test STEP.zip

Francis 

Tolerance test2.stl

Posted · Tolerance Test

Hi

the recommended settings are not the best for dimensional accuracy.

Try these additional settings to the recommended ones

• Slicing Tolerance = Exclude
    • Combing Mode = off
    • Print Jerk = 20
    • Print Speed = 35 (set all other speed values, except travel also to 35, should be 6 values)
    • Outer before Inner Walls = Checked
    • Horizontal Expansion = -0.03
    • Initial Layer Horizontal Expansion = -0.2
    • Like 2

Posted · Tolerance Test

With a new printer you should easily hit 100 microns and quite frankly 50 microns at worst. As @Smithy says standard settings will not do it for you. Smithy mentions some fancy expansion settings there which I have never used, are they available in 2.7 I wonder? Don't know what slicing tolerance is but I am sure Smithy will be correct. My maxim is slow and cool and a filament you know you can rely on. I have two PLA filaments that I turn to when dimensional accuracy is important. I go for 30mm/s and nothing more than 190; probably less if I were using 0.15 layer height. Cannot recall what I use for outer before inner walls as my notes are on another PC. I have a sneaky feeling that I did a comparative test and found no difference but Cura help does suggest outer before inner can help accuracy.

All the notes above will help but you will need probably need to do some of your own testing to get there. I do not know what testing Ultimaker do on each machine before shipment for this area - you could send a question to Support. Ultimately if you cannot get to your target, which should be at least 100 microns then you might want to start playing with your e-steps settings in the firmware. Quite easy actually as long as you have some idea on what you are doing when playing with firmware and take it easy.

Posted (edited) · Tolerance Test
    On 1/8/2019 at 7:47 PM, Framar said:

Hi Ultimaker Community, 

I got a new UltimakerS5 a few weeks a go and while it is printing great I was a bit disapointed; I was expecting very precise dimensional prints... 

I have listened to so many Youtube videos and found one on MakerMuse channel very interesting where Angus showed a tolerance/gap test. I just print my own tolerance test. I was expecting getting good results up to 0,2mm. Unfortunately, only the 0,5mm succeed (0,4mm & 0,3mm failed).

Is there any one that can print the gap test and share their results?

I was using Ultimaker Blue PLA filament at 0,15mm layer height and 20% infill  using the "recommended" settings in Cura 3.6.0.

Attached is the STL and 3D STEP files.

ThanksTolerance test STEP.zip

Francis 

Tolerance test2.stl

had a few hours spare and printed this today...

Printed with Innofil PLA at 0.2 layer height with some custom settings.

0.2 and above were free to rotate.

used this custom profile 0.2 accurate.curaprofile

Edited by ScanHD
    • Like 1

Posted · Tolerance Test

Hi ScanHD. Thanks for the quick feedback. Can you zip the curaprofile file? I can't find a way to save it.

Thanks Again!

Posted · Tolerance Test

here you go...

0.2 accurate.zip

Posted · Tolerance Test

I did use your profile and I was able to go down to 0,3mm gap being free. 0,2mm gap is fused. The store where I bought the printer was able to get the 0,2mm gap free with the same printer as mine (ultimaker S5) ansd using the "recommended" settings in Cura. I wonder if the problem does not come from the filament. I will check the diameter of the filament... And probably try with another spool of PLA.

Posted · Tolerance Test

Filament is one option, but also different room temperature and humidity can cause such things.