Plugin for creating custom setting visibility presets

ahoeben

Posted (edited) · Plugin for creating custom setting visibility presets

Cura 3.3 introduced the concept of setting visibility presets:

setting-visibility.jpg

When I implemented that menu, I always meant to follow up with a way to add custom presets. I never got round to doing that. As a stop-gap measure, here's a plugin that will let you save your current set of visible settings in a preset:

For Cura 3.6: http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/SettingVisibilityProfileCreator-v5.0.0-2019-01-12T13_50_55Z.curapackage

For Cura 4.0: http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/SettingVisibilityProfileCreator-v6.0.0-2019-01-12T13_50_26Z.curapackage

After downloading the file for your Cura version, drop it into a running Cura window. Then restart Cura.

The functionality of creating a new set can be found in the "Extenions" menu.under "Setting Visibility Sets". Selecting "Store Custom Setting Visibility Set", you currently visible settings will be stored into a new preset. In this first version it is not possible to edit a preset, but you can overwrite a previously stored preset.

It would be better if functionality would be available in the setting visibility hamburger menu, but that cannot be done with a plugin without a lot dirty tricks. Ideally the functionality of this plugin will be moved into Cura itself, but that will not be added before Cura 4.1, and by making it a plugin I could make it available for Cura 3.6 and newer.

Edited by ahoeben
Removed mention of 3.5
  • Thanks 2

Posted · Plugin for creating custom setting visibility presets

I'm totally in favor of this not being a plugin though. It makes sense for this to live in the "mainline" Cura code. So if you're up for it, make a pull request.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure I was able to install this on 3.5.1 as directed above because I can see it loading in the logs, but it's not working, the logs show there's a missing dependency of "cura.Settings.SettingVisibilityPreset".  Not sure if it's meant to consume another plugin which I don't have installed?  The instructions don't say I need to do anything else?  My settings look like that image in the OP.

I'm sorry, I did not actually test this with Cura 3.5. I have edited the opening post to reflect that. The plugin is 3.6 and 4.0 only (for now)

8 hours ago, nallath said:

I'm totally in favor of this not being a plugin though. It makes sense for this to live in the "mainline" Cura code. So if you're up for it, make a pull request.

+1

• Like 1

Really nice option! Where are these custom visibility settings files stored in the Cura program folders (Windows 10)? Or can these custom visibility settings be exported somehow  to import them again when reinstalling Cura or installing on another PC?

See Help -> Show configuration folder. They are in one of those folders.

21 hours ago, ahoeben said:

See Help -> Show configuration folder. They are in one of those folders.

Great,found them!

Thanks a lot!!

The custom visibility settings are not in the configuration folders in windows 10. Where are they?

Also, the folder does not automatically opens when clicking the cura menu. 

6 hours ago, brunoosti said:

The custom visibility settings are not in the configuration folders in windows 10. Where are they?

Yes, they are. If they are not there, in a folder named "setting_visibility", you are looking in the wrong folder.

On Windows 10, the configuration folder can be found in %APPDATA%\cura\4.5 (where the last number is the version of Cura you use).

Thank you very much! I was struggling a lot with this to copy my setting visibility. : )

As the program is not automatically opening the folder, I was looking in the wrong directory: 

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.5\resources\setting_visibility

Thanks!

I don't know if there was anything in this folder in Cura 4.5, but unfortunately in version 4.8 and windows 8.1, this folder "setting_visibility" stays empty 😢

On my version it's "AppData\Roaming\cura\4.8\setting_visibility"

What it looks like is that now Cura keeps the visibility settings one level up in the "cura.cfg" file.

I could find at the end:

visible_settings = support_top_distance;infill;material_bed_temperature_layer_0;support_conical_min_width;shell;acceleration_travel;top_bottom_pattern;speed_travel;support_infill_rate;infill_line_width;z_seam_type;gradual_infill_steps;material_flow;material;coasting_enable;support;retraction_amount;xy_offset;prime_tower_enable;acceleration_enabled;wall_thickness;speed;infill_sparse_thickness;cool_fan_enabled;speed_topbottom;retraction_combing;mold_enabled;support_extruder_nr;speed_print_layer_0;wall_line_count;speed_travel_layer_0;retraction_hop_enabled;dual;prime_tower_position_y;support_conical_angle;adhesion_type;cool_min_layer_time;brim_width;platform_adhesion;bridge_settings_enabled;infill_sparse_density;ironing_enabled;travel;support_conical_enabled;brim_line_count;line_width;blackmagic;cool_fan_speed;adaptive_layer_height_enabled;retraction_speed;prime_tower_position_x;machine_settings;material_print_temperature_layer_0;adhesion_extruder_nr;support_z_distance;skirt_line_count;support_enable;smooth_spiralized_contours;cooling;support_type;retraction_min_travel;clean_between_layers;meshfix;material_bed_temperature;slicing_tolerance;speed_wall_x;retraction_enable;resolution;jerk_travel;bottom_layers;infill_line_distance;material_print_temperature;retraction_hop;top_bottom_thickness;speed_wall_0;magic_spiralize;infill_pattern;jerk_print;support_bottom_distance;speed_infill;material_flow_layer_0;minimum_support_area;layer_height;wall_0_wipe_dist;wall_line_width;acceleration_print;prime_blob_enable;top_layers;jerk_enabled;experimental;coasting_volume;support_angle;speed_print;speed_z_hop

Also a bit higher in the file:

custom_visible_settings = support_top_distance;infill;material_bed_temperature_layer_0;support_conical_min_width;shell;acceleration_travel;top_bottom_pattern;speed_travel;support_infill_rate;infill_line_width;z_seam_type;gradual_infill_steps;material_flow;material;coasting_enable;support;retraction_amount;xy_offset;prime_tower_enable;acceleration_enabled;wall_thickness;speed;infill_sparse_thickness;cool_fan_enabled;speed_topbottom;retraction_combing;mold_enabled;support_extruder_nr;speed_print_layer_0;wall_line_count;speed_travel_layer_0;retraction_hop_enabled;dual;prime_tower_position_y;support_conical_angle;adhesion_type;cool_min_layer_time;brim_width;platform_adhesion;bridge_settings_enabled;infill_sparse_density;ironing_enabled;travel;support_conical_enabled;brim_line_count;line_width;blackmagic;cool_fan_speed;adaptive_layer_height_enabled;retraction_speed;prime_tower_position_x;machine_settings;material_print_temperature_layer_0;adhesion_extruder_nr;support_z_distance;skirt_line_count;support_enable;smooth_spiralized_contours;cooling;support_type;retraction_min_travel;clean_between_layers;meshfix;material_bed_temperature;slicing_tolerance;speed_wall_x;retraction_enable;resolution;jerk_travel;bottom_layers;infill_line_distance;material_print_temperature;retraction_hop;top_bottom_thickness;speed_wall_0;magic_spiralize;infill_pattern;jerk_print;support_bottom_distance;speed_infill;material_flow_layer_0;minimum_support_area;layer_height;wall_0_wipe_dist;wall_line_width;acceleration_print;prime_blob_enable;top_layers;jerk_enabled;experimental;coasting_volume;support_angle;speed_print;speed_z_hop

and then also in "categories_expanded = " section but I'm not going to paste it as it's even longer.

@Everlast66 - I don't care much about settings visibility anymore because I found another feature long ago.  The search bar just above all the settings - if you type in part of a setting name, e.g. "layer", it will show all settings with that search term in the name of the setting or in the hover text description.  The settings are shown regardless of "visibility".

So now I just have to remember one of the words in the setting to find it.

@gr5 Thanks for the tip. Yes, found that feature as well.

But the thing is that I'm new to printing and wanted to have a certain interesting options visible at all times so that I'm reminded about them and experiment with them.

Once I've used them for a month or two, I'm sure I'll be able to just to the search bar and bring them up.