ScienceDude

Cleaning a clogged nozzle and broken filament

Posted · Cleaning a clogged nozzle and broken filament

I have here a completly clogged core. For details, look at the pictures.

Hot/Cold pull does not help (or is not applicable). Probably because the nozzle is clogged and the upper part is blocked somewhere inside.

My idea would be to drill a very small hole into the upper part of the material and try to pull it out this way.
Is this the way to go, or is there another? Had someone similar situations? I thought about unscrewing the core, but stopped in between. I guess I wanted to ask first.

Any help is appreciated!

image_1.png

image_2.png

I would try to put the print core back to the printer, heat it up and then try if you push the filament manually through from above. If it is not working, try with a very fine, small needle if you can push in from the nozzle size.

Disassembling the head is dangerous because it is very fragile and break easily, but you can try it as a last chance because otherwise, you will need a new print head anyway.

Here is a good video from @gr5 about how you should the disassembling:

Posted (edited) · Cleaning a clogged nozzle and broken filament

Hi,

thank you! I will try it this way (small needle and then as a last resort disassembling). I already tried pushing through...

I will report!

Edited by ScienceDude

Be careful with the needle that you don't scratch on the inside of the nozzle.

If the above things would not work, and you have a screw extractor for removing broken screws, maybe that could be an option too?

But I would suggest you watch a couple of tutorials on screw extraction first, on Youtube.

Or maybe a wood screw might also work? First drill a small hole in the center of the filament, at *very* low speed so the filament does not melt. And then insert the wood screw and pull?

Heat up a metal wire and push it into the filament as deep as you can. Let it cool down. Make a loop and try and pull it out.

If it doesnt work you can also heat up the core and pull again.

Have done this myself so I know its possible.

• Thanks 1

@AndersK Just at last had time to try it out. Worked perfectly. Thank you for the tip!

• Like 1