3d printer stops at random times in the print

PROMETEJUS

Posted · 3d printer stops at random times in the print

I'm quite new to 3D printing and don't have much knowledge beyond the basics. I'm using Creality ender 4 based on ender 3. For the slicer, I use Ultimaker Cura 3.6.0 (I also use an SD card). So to describe my problem: Like the title says I've had plenty of seemingly random stops in my prints. It doesn't always happen (I've had about 3 failures for every success) The print starts normally and everything works as it should then suddenly without warning it stops mid layer, there is no error message and no option to continue the print. I've tried printing the same g-code many times and it never stops at the same hight so I doubt the slicer is the problem. I have two different hypothesis it either shuts down for a moment because of loss of power (i usually don't have this problem with any other machines), or it's overheating. the steppers do get rather hot (as hot as 90 C), so I have added heat sinks and reduced the current a little bit, but it doesn't seem to have helped.(do the regular nema 17 even have any thermal protection, because I don't think the printer has any kind of sensors on them).

I know I rambled quite a lot but I really want to get this printer working as soon as possible.         

Posted · 3d printer stops at random times in the print

If this happened on an ultimaker I would say it's probably the power supply.  The Ultimaker power bricks will just suddenly cut power for a portion of a second and the printer reboots and if you aren't watching it the moment it happens it has already rebooted by the time you look.

You can reduce power consumption by not using the heated bed at all for a print (use blue tape) or set the heated bed to a *higher* temp (it uses less power at higher power because it is warmer - overall it uses more power but on the second to second bases it uses less max power).

• Like 1