VitR

CURA on Ipad pro 2018.

Posted · CURA on Ipad pro 2018.

Hi Ultimakers. 

I have one question. In this moment I really thinking about move my workflow to ipad pro 2018. With using 3dshapr, umake xyz, forgerapp, bellus3d or Scandy pro may be full fusion 360 in future is possible create many models without using PC. But I can’t find full slicer which allows me generate gcode with full 3d print settings. Question is if ultimaker have plan make full cura for ipad? Thank you for answer. 

I don't think it will come to iOS, because this would mean, rewrite the application from scratch and maintain both branches. But I would also really happy if there would be a solution for the iPad Pro.

We're not planning to do this. It would indeed mean a nearly complete re-write of the code, as well as greatly increasing the maintenance cost.

With the recent WWDC Apple announced new technology that would allow the iPad and Mac versions to share the same code base - obviously there would still be the need to build the app to support this, the longer term maintenance would be greatly decreased.

Does this change your plans?

I cannot speak for the Ultimaker plans, but the shared codebase still needs a lot of rework and rewriting of the code. And the MAC version is no special version for Mac OS, it is just compiled for Mac, so the current Code is shared between Mac, Win and Linux. Therefore I don't think, an iPad version will ever come.

If Cura for the Mac would be written in OSX-specific code, the WWDC announcement would help for an iPad version. However, Cura is written for a large part to be cross-platform between Windows, Linux and OSX. That makes Cura not entirely OSX-specific. Case in point, the Cura GUI is based on a programming language - Python - that is not available on iOS.

In other words: don't get your hopes up.