Sk7500

Need help changing materials

Posted (edited) · Need help changing materials

Hello everyone. Just got a new Ultimaker S5 and need a little help. I need to know how to change the material type in the machine. I figured our how to change the material but the machine thinks it has ABS material installed. But I want to use Tough PLA. I can't figure out how to let the machine know I installed PLA?.

Thanks

Edited by Sk7500

Posted · Need help changing materials

I found an article that said the Ultimaker gets its material information from the UM material roll. So I replaced the Tough PLA roll with a UM Black PLA roll  and the machine still thinks it has ABS loaded? What am I missing?

Thanks

How do you change the material?

Normally when you use the Unload/Load functions of the menu, the material will be detected when it is a UM spool and the NFC chip can be detected. Otherwise, you get a selection to choose the material you want to load.

Posted (edited) · Need help changing materials

Smithy,

Thank you so much for your help.

I have since replaced the material with 3 different UM rolls. As I load it just shows ABS. When I select  "ABS" thinking a pull out with options would present itself. Instead it just gives me the options of "Load, Unload and Replace" or something like that. I contacted UM support and they said they would send me a new NFC sticker. She also said that if I'm getting the program from CURA the G code will give the machine what it needs. So what the machine thinks is not that important.

Edited by Sk7500
Spelling

That's right, the machine needs the information only to heat up the nozzle to the right temperature when you load/unload the material. All print settings are in the gcode.

But the material should match, otherwise, the printer warns you about the mismatch and you have to confirm it manually which is annoying. 

There are many ways to do this.  But there is a menu I think you missed.

s5_select_filament.gif

Thank you for the help.

I don't get the same options. As you can see the machine says "Multiple Detected, Load 1 spool at a time" I thought that meant I have material and PVA loaded at the same time?

image1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Sk7500 said:

Thank you for the help.

I don't get the same options. As you can see the machine says "Multiple Detected, Load 1 spool at a time" I thought that meant I have material and PVA loaded at the same time?

You can ignore that and just click ABS the way I did.  Or you can scroll down to PLA or whatever material you want to select.

This feature is trying to help you but it's confused.  If you want the machine to help you then you have to be more patient.  You have to remove both spools far enough from the machine so it can't detect them, then only put on one material and select that for one head, then put the second material on the spool holder and select the second material.

The problem is the RFID transmitter is seeing both spools at once and it is too dumb to figure out which is for left feeder and which is for right feeder.

But again, it's not a problem if you don't care about this feature.  You can simply choose the material manually here.

Personally I don't have the time or patience to let the machine figure this out.  I just tell the machine what material I loaded.

• Like 1

Also you didn't get the same options because NONE of my materials were on the spool holder.  I had them on the table behind the printer and they were just far enough from the transmitter that it couldn't detect them.  I think the whole spool holder is a little silly as well.