batesman

Flow rate in machine settings

Posted · Flow rate in machine settings

Howdy!

On my Ender 2, I need to set the flow rate in Cura 3.6 to 104.5%. No problemo, right? Well, instead of doing it on a per print / per profile basis, I'd like to set it and forget it. So I learned that I can use M221 S104.5 in Marlin to set the flow rate directly in the Gcode of the printer profile. That way, my flow rate is set for each print right? Cool. Well then I started thinking (and this is where I mess myself up)..."If I set the flow rate percentage to 104.5% in the machine settings, but then the flow rate is defined as 100% (default value) in the slicer, which one wins?"

Any ideas on this? Do Gcode settings in the machine profile take precedence over what is defined in the slicer profile? How can I accomplish my goal and still be lazy?

Thanks in advance!

Got my answer (don't know why I didn't think of this before). I set the flow to 80% in the profile and left the machine settings at 104%. Then I printed a 25 mm cube with .48 wall thickness. The extruded wall thickness was .40 so...There you go. Profile settings override machine settings.

No.  They multiply together.

So in cura if you set flow to 80%, Cura multiplies all the E values (extruder positions) by 80% such that you get 80% flow.

With the M221 gcode, Marlin (the firmware on the computer) multiplies each of these E values again by the current Marlin flow value.  The Marlin flow value of course is set by M221.

If you go into the TUNE menu on Ender (does ender have a tune menu?  Probably). and adjust the flow, it will set the Marlin flow value at that moment and forget.  If later an M221 value appears - that will override.  If later you set it in the TUNE menu again, then at that moment it will override again.

But the flow in Cura is baked right into the E values.

Yup  I set Cura flow to 100% and then before starting my print I set flow in Repetier Host to 70% and after the first layer I set Repetier Host back to  100%, so I get the 1st layer at 70% and everything else at 100%

No. I'm setting the machine settings in Cura in addition to the profile settings. The profile setting is overriding the machine setting set via Cura.

Again, no.  It's not overriding.  They are multiplying.  104% times 80% gives you 83% which is close enough to 80% that you don't notice the difference.

So the M221 is telling the printer to multiply all the extruder moves by 104%.  The 80% in cura affects the actual E values (the machine doesn't know about the 80% as the 80% part is baked right into the extruder positions in the gcode).  And cura doesn't know what M221 does.