The printer complains the material is empty when material is there

danyongz

Posted · The printer complains the material is empty when material is there

The job is always paused and the printer complains material appears to be empty. However, the material is placed.

The printer screen says "One material appears to be empty. Please change it to a new material to continue printing."

What kind of printer is this?

Is this when the printer gets to the second or third layer?  Or before the print starts?

I'm going to assume before the print starts.  On the UM3 and the S5 you can go to the material settings (for either left or right feeder) and tell the printer what material it is.  I don't use the sensor - I just select a material, for example PLA.

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

What kind of printer is this?

Is this when the printer gets to the second or third layer?  Or before the print starts?

I'm going to assume before the print starts.  On the UM3 and the S5 you can go to the material settings (for either left or right feeder) and tell the printer what material it is.  I don't use the sensor - I just select a material, for example PLA.

Thanks. Our printer is Ultimaker S5, bought on November 2019. The material is ABS and supporting material is natural PVA.

But it is during the printing process that we encountered the problem: "One material appears to be empty. Please change it to a new material to continue printing." We checked the printer, but two materials are not empty. And if clicked on "OK" and "Resume", the printer continued to print. But the same problem appeared after several minutes' printing.

By the way, we also observed some strange clusters of the supporting materials printed on the structure, which could be seen in the attached images. Is there any way we can solve it?

Thanks!

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

You can check which material caused the problem by looking at the print head and check which nozzle is lower. This is then the active one on the spool which caused the error message.

I assume it is the PVA spool and your PVA material has absorbed too much moisture from the air. You should always keep PVA very dry, otherwise, it gets too soft.

Also, check if you have the latest firmware on your S5.

I am having the same issue with a new S5 and it is the PLA that is not printing fully, the PVA is fine. Could it be the wheel is slipping, I noticed the material I am using does not have ridges and is perfectly smooth?

If you are plugged into a network, unplug and restart the printer. I had the same issues. Took it back to dealer and could not reproduce the fault. 

Cheers.